Tortoise threw up and has diarrhea

Carley

Ok so my tortious threw up on me yesterday and has diarrhea today and I have done some bad things I have had him out on the floor and ik thats now bad im learning so Im thinking becuz his humidity is at 35 he is still young I think he is dehydrated so iv been soaking him in a warm bath and trying EVERYTHING to get the humidity up he has moss all over his cage he has two lights in the a basking blub and a heat lamp he has just regular organic top soil to camacials theres a wet song on top on his house under the light wr have been misting it and everything idk what to do im the wrost tortious mommy ever please help me!!!!!

Carley

Also my local pet store told me that its the kale im feeding him I have a russian tortious they said thats why hes sick

Carley

Ok so my tortious threw up on me yesterday and has diarrhea today and I have done some bad things I have had him out on the floor and ik thats now bad im learning so Im thinking becuz his humidity is at 35 he is still young I think he is dehydrated so iv been soaking him in a warm bath and trying EVERYTHING to get the humidity up he has moss all over his cage he has two lights in the a basking blub and a heat lamp he has just regular organic top soil to camacials theres a wet song on top on his house under the light wr have been misting it and everything idk what to do im the wrost tortious mommy ever please help me!!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not the kale, unless the male is bad. Kale is not bad for your Russian. However, only feeding kale is bad. He needs a wide variety of foods to eat. Try getting the humidity to 50%, your 30% isn't bad for an adult. Be sure the basking spot is 95-100 at tortoise height. The rest of the enclosure 75-80 day and night. Keep up the soaks, but can be cut back to once a month once you feel he is fine. Get more things in his diet and see if that helps. Some food items you can add from the store are mustard and collard greens, arugula, spring mix, dandelion greens. All I can think of for now. And keep him off the floor. His enclosure is the best place for him. Your not a bad tort mommy either, your here looking for help, bad tort parents don't do that.

Carley

Hes only a year tho im going to go get him so more tomorrow do u have any other ideas to get the humidity up? I wanna get him a little portable humidifier would that hurt him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, at a year old, you do want a higher humidity and don't let the temps fall below 80. A warm mist humidifier is okay to use. Make sure it's a WARM mist one. Read the caresheets under the Russian section for more helpful info.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you certain he puked? What did he like up? What are your night temps?, especially with misting multiple times a day?? What size is the tortoise? What would a typical days food be?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

That is not a 1 year old Russian then. Likely a mature adult. American pet stores seem to only sell adults. Your humidity worries shouldn't be priority. Vomiting is very unusual for tortoises. Only kale isn't a sufficient diet but it isn't likely to cause vomiting. Has your tortoise eaten and had a bowel movement since the vomiting?

Carley

Yea 100% sure he puked and his night temps are like 80 and I havent had him for that long but I give him a fiest full of kale

Carley

Yes he eats normale and yes he pooped all in the,tub and he had a little diarrhea everything is what it needs to be just throwing up

GingerLove

5 Year Member
How long have you had him? Kale shouldn't be a problem unless fed too often, but I still don't think that would cause him to throw up. I'm wondering if there is something wrong in his belly. Is his shell soft on the bottom? You might want to take a sample of his poop to the vets?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Does the diarrhea look like it has anything unusual in it? Anything moving?
Most pet shop Russian tortoises are wild caught adults and many of them are already ill and full of parasites.

Carley

In the morning not at all it just looks like his tail run over it he only pops when he gets out of the bath I thought he might have worms but I didnt see anything

Carley

I kinda want to ruleturn him and buy one online from a breeder but I don't wanna give up on him

Carley

Not at all and iv had him for almost a week im going to take him to the vet I kinda want to return him and buy one from a breeder but I dont want to give up on him

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I think they may have sold you a tortoise with parasites or worms, but I'm not a vet. The symptoms sound like something is wrong with him. You might want to consider returning him... but will the place you bought him from try to help him? I would hate for him to grow sicker.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Carley and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Sorry that you tort is ill.

Any pics of your tort? Photos enable the experienced members here to help/give advise more easily.

Wishes for you tort to get well soon.