Tortoise Clothes??

IntenseCookie

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MossyTortoise
I found this website the other day and i think they are the cutest thing ever. But whats your opinion should torts have clothes or is it too much??
il_170x135.513940523_rxpe.jpg
Honestly, I've seen that website too. I thought it was freaking adorable xP But with exceptions, it's not something I would do. It's not like the clothes are benefiting the tortoise in any way, it's not keeping them warm while it's cool out, or cool while it's hot.
But I'm not TOTALLY against them. When I let my tortoise wander around outside, I have to sit with him. He's native to my state, so he blends in with his environment easily. He's also incredibly small. When he gets bigger, I'll buy one of these, that way he can wander outside and I'll see a brightly colored rock moving around the backyard.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I love the turtle copies... The creator is clear she originally started making them for her tortoise as yard finders, and it just kind of took off. I know there is another thread about these (cuz I posted in it) and someone shared a pic of their yard finder... A helium balloon tied to their little one it was hilarious.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Yard finder? Okay, didn't someone say they need to soak up sun?
I know I frequently hunt for mine in the yard but the idea of going out is to get exercise and sun.
For that reason, I am planning to create a "run" for my Russian in a present flower bed. (Needs altered)
Personally, I am into the natural beauty but have enjoyed reading this discussion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with you, RainsOn. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm assuming that a tortoise might possibly become overheated having the sun shine down on a clothed tortoise. I also don't know which part of the tortoise absorbs the UVB rays, the skin, the shell or both, so in order to gain all the beneficial UVB I would never cover up the shell. Same thing with topicals. I feel a cream/oil applied to the shell might make the tortoise absorb too much heat and inhibit the absorption of the UVB rays, so I would never use topicals on my tortoises.

I'm open to someone proving my way of thinking wrong, but until then, I'm not doin' it. And that's the truth - Ph-t-t-t-t-t!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Just read in another thread something about them not having any body temp and the clothes actually inhibiting warmth. Makes sense to me but, what do I know?

I am not getting any work done (I work at home). I am so fascinated with this new creature and everything there is to learn. I keep coming back to this site.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thank you for that~
I had no clue! But now I know I feel like I won't ever make the mistake of putting a blanket over her :D.
unless you're in the blanket too :) Occasionally I'll watch a movie with franklin on my chest and pull the blanket up to right before his head like a little cave, warm enough to nap in!

As for my opinion, I made a little dino one myself for him about a year ago, I think I've put it on him twice... once to chill out in our "costumes" with nowhere to go on Halloween (I was just wearing one of those eye masks ad by the way tortoises DO NOT like strange things on your face!) and one to show family after Halloween when they came over after seeing pictures of it. So I mean its just a cute little silly thing, that you just need to realize is only a sometimes thing, if you're willing to spend the money why not. I probably wouldn't have bought it, I only have mine since I know how to crochet and made it up by myself.

Camryn

Tampa, FL
My aunt makes those, and gives them to me.. We put them on Gibbles when he roams the yard so we don't lose him LOL

sulcata2014

Florida
I don't think they are meant to wear clothes, but if dress up is what you like then go for it! I'm sure it makes for a great photo opportunities! The tortoise locator does actually make sense though-LOL!