Tiny Tales

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Well. Tiny is getting a new and improved underground hide. I've only had him about 8 mos but he outgrew the first one ( post 30-34).

This time no Rubbermaid container , I built a box 24"x24" , it has an open floor so he can dig around on the dirt and it will also drain. As well as get temps from ground

I framed the tunnel with plywood , top & sides. But left the bottom dirt. Felt like I was building a mine shaft. :)

The box is 2' down , that's about all I dare go because of our high water table in rainy season. But the land slopes downward where I put it so it should drain well anyway.

This turned into an all day project. Lol.

Here is the box ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433067118.006657.jpg

With liid
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433067169.638692.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny is growing at about 7-8% / mo. I calculated on that basis that he will be about 18 lbs 12,mos from now. ( he's 7,7 lbs today )

Hopefully this box will last a while. :)
But I seem to be constantly underestimating how fast he grows.

Today I have to cut the entrance to his outside heated box larger as his shell almost scrapes on each side when he goes in.

I know you can keep a sully without going to do much trouble in making a home for them , but it seems only right to do what you can. They will dig their own tunnel if you allow it. I just would prefer he use this one and not dig under his surround. He seems to love it and has been in and out of there many times already.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny is 3520 grams today (7.76 lbs) up from 3244 (7.1 lbs) a month ago, a gain of 8%. Seems about right, and steady. He eats like a pig, far out eating my Aldabra "Cupcake" (who is about a year younger) and walks all over the place. He is very active.

The heat and humidity in South Florida seems to agree with him, and he goes in and out of his new underground hide during the day, still preferring his above ground box at night. Since I tore up his surround getting the tunnel and underground box installed I'll have to replant his surround. Put some grass seed in, and search the yard for weeds he likes to transplant. He mows down everything I put in there :)

I've been offered two other sully rescues in the last few months, declined them both, as I just don't see any reason to give my little man any competition or problems. Now if anyone has an Aldabra the need re-homed.... that might be a different story hahahaha

Alaskamike

South Florida
Finished new & improved surround for my aldabra "Cupcake" and Tiny.

Got his cave finished and buried. And replanted his surround since I tore it up so bad.

I'll get a photo of him at the entrance to his new cave when he gets up he's a noonish kinda guy. :)

I'll get a few more plants he likes soon. So far only have grass , purslane , and cactus in there. Planted the dirt with seed too.

I'll see how long it takes for him to destroy the cactus. Hahaha. But I have plenty planted all over.

My GF says I soil the torts. Really ?

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
An AWESOME tiny the tortoise with unique peaks, gee you could have named him Herman he is so small. Ha. You do spoil him, if only I could get hubby to cross fence our yard now. Hm Hm. will see.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny has been struggling with an eye problem this month. Finally determined it is a swollen nictitating membrane (the 3rd eyelid). I took him to a vet to check for any problems that might be stressing out his system and nothing was found (including no worms), so treated with an anti-biotic ophthalmic ointment for safety. It is only in his left eye. Getting better :)

He seems to love his new underground hide and goes in and out of there all afternoon

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny is 3677 grams today = 8,1 lbs. A gain of 5% Slowest month gain so far. Seems to be a bit more active and eating just a bit less this month It has been very hot, spends allot of time during the heat of the day in his underground hide. When he's out he's walking.

Alaskamike

South Florida
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436198215.517157.jpg

Poor pic. I know.
I wish I could really show the change in Tiny's shell since I got him.

He's grown from 2.3 lbs to over 8
In 10 months. I really looked carefully at his caprice today - I think what is happening is the hight of the pyramids from new growth rings is the same. But because he has gown larger , in proportion to his shell , the pyramids are less in contrast to the overall shell
This is what I expected with sun / water / humidity good food and exersize.

I am just a bit taken back by how fast it is correcting. Better pics soon :)