New sulcata yearling problems

J H

5 Year Member
I just rescued a approx 1 yr old sulcata off craigslist yesterday. -was free- The lady got him last April shipped to MN from FLA. He was kept with no uvb just a blue zoo med light for heat in a wire sided Guinea pig cage. The temp was very low I assume. ( it only got to 72 when I tested it at home). The problem is he drags his back legs. (MBD?). He can somewhat move them. He stands a little sometimes and can pull them in. No apparent injuries I see. Fed frozen veggies and Forrest tort pellets by prev owner. Has not eaten since I brought him home yesterday. Any ideas on this? Is now in a 20 gal long with a mvb Hot side 91 cool side 80ish.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
20 gallon is not big enough. He needs to get more room to roam to be able to hopefully get his legs working correctly. A better diet and some hydrotherapy and hopefully he will have full use of his legs. I had to rehab a leopard that was undersize for its age and dragged its legs when walking. I would hold him in deep warm water so he would move his legs and swim. He got better diet, lots more room to roam and now he is my fastest one. Good luck keep us posted.
As for the not eating, that is probably just the move and new surroundings. Soak every day, do the therapy twice a day and get the bigger enclosure.

J H

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help. I know the 20 gal long is small but so is he. Mainly I just don't want to go build / buy an enclosure for a tort who dies in a few days. Want to see if he survives a little while first then he will get a large indoor area

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the legs are more than likely due to lack of use and no substrate.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I suspect MBD. If you apply some pressure around his anal scute, and it gives in a bit, that would be some confirmation of MBD. Of course, there are other indicators, but since his legs are weak, that too is a bad sign.
Soak him in warm water in a tub every day. He may wank to try and get out. You want him to put up a bit of a struggle to get his legs going. He was not raised and fed the right way. You'll need to offer him a variety of foods like grass, weeds, hibiscus leaves and flower, spineless cactus, endive, mazuri, grassland tortoise food, etc.
The way to combat MBD is through proper diet, exposure to natural sunlight, calcium supplement, and provide heat and humidity in his enclosure. If you can't get him outside because of the cold, then buy a good mercury vapor bulb that will not only give him heat during the day, but much needed UV exposure. You'll also need a ceramic heat emitter for night heat.
It's important that you provide a large enough inside enclosure so that he can exercise his legs. Sulcatas need a large area to roam in. Please do not put him in a small 20-30 gallon tank. He's been through a bad enough beginning. He finally can begin to live like he should. Thank you for adopting him!
I have a tortoise rescue that was three years old but weighted only 4 ounces! She also has a drag to her hind legs. She too has MBD and is a sulcata. Now she's doing really good. She developed strong front legs to compensate for weak back legs, but she gets around the yard very well. Let me know if you need more information on have to care for a sulcata with MBD. :)

J H

5 Year Member
Like I said the 20 is only very temporary. Any info would help. How humid. I've heard wet and dry. What is best? I have an adult male red foot in a large closed chamber ( only inside in the winter and nights). Should I section off an area in there temporarily ? Scared of diseases though

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So the legs might likely be fixable?

It depends on how severe the MBD is. He can survive and get better than he is now. It all depends on what you can do to help him. If you don't think you can invest time and resources to help this poor tort, then please find a rescue organization that is willing to nurse him back to health. What he needs is a change in environment for the better, not more of the same poor care.
Let me know how I can help you deal with a special needs sulcata. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Like I said the 20 is only very temporary. Any info would help. How humid. I've heard wet and dry. What is best? I have an adult male red foot in a large closed chamber ( only inside in the winter and nights). Should I section off an area in there temporarily ? Scared of diseases though

If possible, if you can get him isolated until you see a vet, that would be advisable. If he isn't infested with parasites or worms, and the vet okay 's his health, that's exactly what I would do bc that's exactly what he needs, warm and humid.
But when you say section off a space for him, I wouldn't put him in with your RF. I would build a closed camber of his own. The closed camber would need to be large though.

Last edited:

J H

5 Year Member
I can build him a closed chamber. Just don't really want to if its a slim survival situation. No matter what he will be in the 20 until I can build a closed chamber. My other question is substrate. Don't want to risk it with sand mix. He was in mulch when I got him yesterday but couldn't really get around well in it. Right now I actually have him on a tight knit indoor out door carpet. It won't hold humidity but he has been able to fairly easily navigate the enclosure.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I can build him a closed chamber. Just don't really want to if its a slim survival situation. No matter what he will be in the 20 until I can build a closed chamber. My other question is substrate. Don't want to risk it with sand mix. He was in mulch when I got him yesterday but couldn't really get around well in it. Right now I actually have him on a tight knit indoor out door carpet. It won't hold humidity but he has been able to fairly easily navigate the enclosure.
If he has survived this long, he's a fighter and his chances of survival depend on the care you give him now. The carpet thing is a great idea so that he can exercise his legs. He' not eating now bc his environment has changed once again. My rescue was in the same condition as yours, and she thriving almost three years later.
If you're concerned that he's so sick he may die, take him to a good vet who has experience dealing with torts. Then, day by day, introduce him to a better diet and exercise along with natural sunlight and calcium supplement. Take it day by day. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

J H

5 Year Member
I figured that about the eating since I rescued Bob my red foot off craigslist a couple years ago. (2 adults living in a tiny zoo med terrarium didn't work out crazy huh) He didn't eat for a few days not he's put on weight and size steadily. I'm more concerned with this little guys quality of life due to the legs. I'm going to give it my best shot.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I figured that about the eating since I rescued Bob my red foot off craigslist a couple years ago. (2 adults living in a tiny zoo med terrarium didn't work out crazy huh) He didn't eat for a few days not he's put on weight and size steadily. I'm more concerned with this little guys quality of life due to the legs. I'm going to give it my best shot.
Good for you! His legs will get stronger with calcium supplement and natural sunshine. It's possible that his legs were injured. We really don't know at this point, but taking him to the vet is a first step. There's no reason to think he wouldn't survive just because of his legs. That's what you have at this moment. If his eyes look clear, and he otherwise is moving around, those are very good signs. With your care, he'll be like my lil girl, Baby Runt. I've enclosure a pic of her now. Remember, she was 4,ounces at 3 years old when I got her. She's now about 40 lbs. 2 1/2 years later.
WP_20151207_15_25_51_Pro.jpgWP_20151211_14_52_15_Pro.jpg WP_20151211_14_52_10_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

J H

5 Year Member
That motivational ! What is a "normal" adjustment period before he should begin eating? Dips his head and appears to drink during soaks but not eating yet

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That motivational ! What is a "normal" adjustment period before he should begin eating? Dips his head and appears to drink during soaks but not eating yet
It can be a couple of days or even a week, but, if he continues not to eat after two weeks, I'd take him to a vet. There could be something else going on. Torts can go weeks w/o eating so long as he's getting fluids. But, if this is just because of change, it won't take long for him to eat. Offer him a juicy strawberry. They love that even though they shouldn't eat it. He'll be fine with one strawberry. Then, order some Mazuri. That would be real good for him. Also, fresh endive, spineless cactus, grass,,weeds, Grassland Tortoise food, and sometimes carrots and pumpkin are good. Try and avoid collard greens, spinach, broccoli, lettuce, and other greens that can cause urates in their bladder. That can cause stones in their bladder, and that wouldn't be good.

DandR

Tortoise Club
Hawaii
Sibi - Seeing Baby Runt's pic IS inspirational! When we got our 2 sulcatas, they, too, were dragging their back legs. Seven months later, they are finally walking steadily and strong. Struggling to get out of their soaks (which they'd never had) gave them lots of exercise! They're still very undersized for their ages, but seeing Baby Runt gives us hope.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sibi - Seeing Baby Runt's pic IS inspirational! When we got our 2 sulcatas, they, too, were dragging their back legs. Seven months later, they are finally walking steadily and strong. Struggling to get out of their soaks (which they'd never had) gave them lots of exercise! They're still very undersized for their ages, but seeing Baby Runt gives us hope.

Yeah, that's great about your 2 babies! Baby Runt is my lil girl! She can't eat on her own; so, I hand feed everyday! She was 4 ounces at the age of three when I got her. Now, she's over 40 lbs.

J H

5 Year Member
Ok The lady who gave him to me said he had been eating fine (not the right things) but was eating. She said he has always been picky but....I give him a little while then bring him in to the vet if needed. I didn't know how long the little ones could go with out eating

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Ok The lady who gave him to me said he had been eating fine (not the right things) but was eating. She said he has always been picky but....I give him a little while then bring him in to the vet if needed. I didn't know how long the little ones could go with out eating
Did you try a juicy strawberry? Also, I wouldn't worry unless he eats nothing for over two weeks. Also, buy some mazuri. Torts love the stuff!

J H

5 Year Member
I offered a strawberry No luck I keep putting mazuri in with him No luck yet. I guess it's only been 2 days so far.