Tiny Tales

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I was looking at Tiny today , washed him ( he LOVES his underground hide , but digs in the mud after a rain ).
Checked his rub marks on front legs & they look all healed.

I noticed his growth lines are really wide now. They come in black on him so snapped a pic the initial pyramiding continues to be less noticeable Eventually it will be almost gone ( but probably never completely.
He's at least 3 so still small for his age. But healthy.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441988930.705379.jpg
Since it's so hot he spends most of the day in his burrow. I usually see him in the early evening grazing.

His diet now is almost 100% weeds & grass with about 1x/wk Mazuri

I think last month I mis-weighed him somehow cause he's 9.1 lbs today. And I had him at 9.2 lbs last month.
I'll be certain he's growing and weight him again in 4 weeks.

He's doing good. :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Awesome, it's always great to see those nice growth lines.

I too don't see my sulcata out and about until 4pm. He used to come out at 6:30 am to eat. Also, Did he lose some of the spurs? Dexter lost one and it grew back at a strange angle.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I don't think he's lost Spurs , but they are worn down some from the digging.

The sand & dirt has an abrasive effect on him.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny with his once a month strawberry face
I can see now the consequences of him having an underground burrow.
Even though I made it for him , and there is a box at the bottom , it has no floor and as dirty as he comes out of there I suspect he is digging it further to suit him.

The sand is wearing his shell down some, a braiding the sharp edges.
This is most likely what happens in the wild.

Even the old pyramiding is wearing down some. In a few years it will be hardly noticeable, although he will never be as smooth as one raised in high humidity.

I still file the edges once in awhile where his front she'll wants to scrape his front legs. Instead of turning up there the shell flares are straight out if not a bit curved in.

Hopefully as he grows this will change too.

He is not very big for his age , 9lbs or so , but grows monthly and seems a happy healthy boy.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442247385.790583.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
I am seriously thinking about finding a new home for tiny.
He is well on his way to a good adolescents. And I have several other tortoises that will get large.

The space will be needed in a year or so for my Aldabra, and I hate to see him in a 12x12 enclosure much longer. I do bring him out most days for a larger " walkabout". And he loves his burrow.

Put an ad in the for sale section

I would be sad to see him go , but if is to a good healthy place it would be okay. Sometimes you really have to know what the limits of your environment are. I could keep expanding his environment , but inevitably he will need an entire yard. When I took him my intention was to get him very healthy then find a new home for him. Got a bit carried away with building a hide box and burrows. Lol. My nature.

If the right placement doesn't surface he will stay with me. My guess is I can handle it for several more years - just thinking ahead.

"Tiny" is not so tiny anymore. At the rate he is growing I suspect he will hit 20 lbs a year from now.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny will be staying for a few more years. I blocked off his burrow trying to get him to revert to his heated box - no go

He just started digging a new one :)

It's still warm enough , so I unblocked the other one and let him have it.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444749483.313734.jpg
Here he is coming out to browse.

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
If tiny gets to big you can move which would be really dumb considering you sound like you have a larger area it might me expensive but can't you build a fence around part or all your yard and split it down the middle or give a little more to your Aldabra and make it a removable divider so when you can supervise you can remove the divider temporarily so they can graze together while supervised that is just my input in no way am I an expert on torts I just got my first one like in July that is your choice but I would hate to see tiny go after reading this whole thread and seeing your adventures Good. luck

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny is 9.44 lbs today. Pushing up to that 10 lb Mark. - behind my projection for Nov 1st of 10.7 lbs. his rate has slowed the last 2 months. Small but strong.

We are having an unusually hot fall here , so leaving burrow open for now. Soon will need to close it though.

He is very friendly. Not afraid at all , and seeks me out in his enclosure. Must like the food I bring him - different than his grazing weeds & grass.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Poor Tiny. Had to get him out of his burrow with a hair dryer & close it this time with plywood.

Put him in his heated box & came right back out to fuss over the burrow. Such creatures of habit they are ! He'll get it soon. But it is funny to see his attempts to figure a way back into his hole.

Getting in the low 60s at night now. Next few months burrow Is "off limits". Soon it will be in 40s at night
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452199943.793174.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny is growing steady , but not at any accelerated rates. Seems to be doing well since I shut off his burrow for the winter. Adjusted to his heated hide - but not till pacing the plywood top over the burrow for days looking for a way in.
Been getting in the 40s & 50s at night. Way too cold for him. The hide stays a toasty 84-90 all the time.

Weighed him today - 10.6 lbs.
gave him the EVCO treatment :)

His shell continues to improve.