This new mama needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amlesd

5 Year Member
So after searching high and low, both on the forum and other online resources I need a few tips so I can settle into being the tortoise owner that my little girl deserves.
First, I am having an awful hard time keeping the humidity up in the enclosure. I have coconut coir and cypress mulch as bedding. Which I am currently spritzing with a spray bottle of water two to three times a day. I now have taken to saran wrapping a portion of the top of the enclosure to try to trap some of the humidity also(if this works I will switch to plexiglass or hard plastic of some sort, just didn't need a big piece of plastic sitting around if it didn't). So, my question is what else can I do? Can I use a different substrate? Once I get some live plants in there will that help? How moist can the substrate be before it has a negative effect on my tort?

Next, I seem to have a picky eater. She likes escarole and mixed greens but seems to reject tortoise food, kale, and collard greens. What are some good options until I can get some live plants growing for her. (I also feed a small amount of veg each day) Can I just keep her on just the escarole and mixed greens or does she need more variety than that? Does anyone have a reliable seed site?

Lastly, I have a hundred watt day white light by zoo med. I am only able to get her warm side of her tank up to about 80 degrees. Is there an option to get it just a little warmer for her? I keep reading that I am shy by about ten degrees. If I put a collar (like a clamp lamp style) around the bulb will that help?

Thank You for the help. This new mama is just a little over protective!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
What does your enclosure look like? Do you have any pictures? I would try to lower the basking bulb, if it is too high it won't heat the area very well. What is your cool side temp?

Amlesd

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
What does your enclosure look like? Do you have any pictures? I would try to lower the basking bulb, if it is too high it won't heat the area very well. What is your cool side temp?

I currently have her in a 55 gallon aquarium. In the summer she will be outside. It is awful cold here in MN for her to be outdoors right now.She comes out for a soak and a walk once a day, twice if I get a chance. She is about 4-5 inches across her shell. I was told she is about four years old, but who knows for sure.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
It's great that she will be outside next summer!

Don't worry about the humidity with your species. Your substrate is perfect, and holds moisture well. Russians/Steppe tortoises need moisture in the underlayers for when they burrow, but the surface can be dry. You can add water 1-x per week to keep it that way.
Soaking sounds good.
What are the floor dimensions of the aquarium? That is really what is important to your tort.
You shouldn't have trouble getting temps up in an aquarium with a 100w bulb. You might want to switch to a Powersun 100w MVB, so your tort can get some UVB this winter. It should be no closer than 12" from the top of the tort's shell, but should be able to get the basking area to 95F. Position it on one end of the enclosure.

keep experimenting with different greens. Mixed greens+ escarole is a good start. Try this and that over time, chop his favorite foods up and sneak small amounts in.
As he starts to feel better, he will broaden his diet. Especially in the summer!!!!

Good supplement:
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58&products_id=261

Weed seed sources:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=590

Perhaps if you post pics, we can get a better idea.
Actually, we just like pics for any reason... :D

ottosmom18

5 Year Member
I know exactly how you feel! When my tortoise Otto came home he was super picky with his food. Try dandelion greens, which, oddly enough, can be found at Meijer!

Status
Not open for further replies.