Beginning tortoise keeper needs some help/advice

Geng

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

For a month I'm the proud and happy owner of my very first pet: a 1-year old Russian tortoise (female). Tortoises were my favorite animals ever since I was a little kid, and still are. I'm aiming for a long, happy and healthy life for my tortoise. I'm really happy with my new pet, but also a bit uneasy. There isn't a single day that I aren't overworried about her. I can barely leave my home for a hour before the panic kicks in that my tortoise has done something dangerous (like flipped over on her back under the basking light!). Luckily, there's this Tortoiseforum place that provides a helping hand. I'm roaming daily on this website looking for some handy tips and advice.

As a beginning tortoise keeper I have lots of question. Yes, I've read the beginning guides for Russian tortoises but I still have lots of questions. So if you happend to have the knowledge, could you please take your time and help me anwser these 11 questions I have. I know some question may sound stupid or nooby, but getting anwser on these can help me alot.:

1. The current enclosure is a rabbit cage, and people suggested me to get rid of it because it's too small and the open enclosure can't keep the humidity that a young tortoise needs for a healthy growth. A glass vivarium would keep the humidity, but ain't vivariums stressfull for tortoises? I'm willing to build a big wooden tortoise table if that would be better, but how am I gonna keep the humidity?

2. To keep the humidity I spray the substrate (coco coir) daily 3x. Every 3 days I pour water in the substrate and mix it to make it moist (like cake, not watery moist). Are there any other things that will keep the humidity at a steady level?

3. What are the ideal temps for a 1-year old Russian tortoise? The current temps are: basking 95-100F, warm side 85F, cool side 77F, night 75F (room temp). Is this good?

4. My tortoise gets up around 9:30 am. Sometimes she goes to bed early (like 5 pm sometimes). Can the lamps go out earlier even if the lights hasn't been on for 10-12 hours?

5. I've noticed that my tortoise has the habit to stretch her neck upwards and backwards at the same time, as far as she can (like shes trying to see her shell). I've seen it a couple if times but it rarely happens. It worries so, so I like to know what this behaviour means. Is there like something stuck in her throat?

6. If it happend that something gets stuck in her throat (like a piece of her food) is there anything I can do without the help of a vet?

7. I soak her daily for 20-30 min, but can an extra soak on the same day do any bad (like when she wakes up after sleeping in the basking spot)?

8. Sunlights are way better than UV lamps, so on warm days I want to take her outside in my garden to graze. The first time I put her outside, she was nervous as she was breathing fast. She the immidiately burried herself. Is this normal behaviour? Should I give an another try when its sunny outside? Or is it a bad idea to let a young tortoise roam outside.

9. There are these days that it's sunny but also a bit chilly. What are the min. temps for a 1 year old tortoise to go outside when its also sunny?

10. Can the appetite of the tortoise change suddenly? She's still eating, but a bit less than a week before. She loves endive alot and prefer it above any other food like hawkbits and dandelions. She still eats it but not so passionate as before. Also, my tortoise had eaten alot yesterday and less today. Is she still full of yesterdays meal?

11. This week my tortoise hasn't been really active as how he is used to be. I may know why but I'm not really sure. Five days ago (monday) my 80W MVB UV light was off the whole day. I put on the 20W basking lamp for the warmth she needs. I did it out of safety measurres because I wasn't home the whole day. After monday I noticed she a change in behaviour: bit sluggish, less active, less appitite. Can a day without UV affect a tortoise alot? I haven't change any other things.

I still have alot of question, but it's late and I can't keep my mind tiddy as I am typing this post now. I know some question sound stupid or nooby, but getting anwser on these can help me alot. Here are some photos: I had taken the first 3 photos of my tortoise when I has her for a week. The second 4 were taken today.

toby.jpg toby2.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
1. Build a closed chamber. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
And no, Vivariums are not bad for tortoises. Cold, dry household room air is bad for tortoises.
2. Cover the top to prevent the humidity from escaping. Closed chamber...
3. Those are good temps. Well done.
4. The indoor lights are to simulate the sun. I would leave them on for at least 12 hours a day. Your tortoises sleeping habits are pretty normal.
5. Unusual, but not anything I would worry about.
6. That doesn't usually happen. I wouldn't worry about it.
7. No need for it, but no, it won't hurt anything.
8. Totally normal behavior, but your tortoise needs its own well designed secure enclosure. Loose in the yard is a recipe for disaster.
9. This one is not so easy. There are many factors that determine this, not just a number on a thermometer. How warm is the ground? How dry is the area? Rained recently? Pavement, grass, dirt, etc...? Generally 65+ and sunny is okay for a russian, but not if its damp and rainy.
10. Yes. Normal.
11. Having "overcast" darker days can certainly affect mood and activity level.

Where are you?

Geng

5 Year Member
1. Build a closed chamber. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
And no, Vivariums are not bad for tortoises. Cold, dry household room air is bad for tortoises.
2. Cover the top to prevent the humidity from escaping. Closed chamber...
3. Those are good temps. Well done.
4. The indoor lights are to simulate the sun. I would leave them on for at least 12 hours a day. Your tortoises sleeping habits are pretty normal.
5. Unusual, but not anything I would worry about.
6. That doesn't usually happen. I wouldn't worry about it.
7. No need for it, but no, it won't hurt anything.
8. Totally normal behavior, but your tortoise needs its own well designed secure enclosure. Loose in the yard is a recipe for disaster.
9. This one is not so easy. There are many factors that determine this, not just a number on a thermometer. How warm is the ground? How dry is the area? Rained recently? Pavement, grass, dirt, etc...? Generally 65+ and sunny is okay for a russian, but not if its damp and rainy.
10. Yes. Normal.
11. Having "overcast" darker days can certainly affect mood and activity level.

Where are you?

Thanks for anwsering my question! Gonna begin with building a better enclosure these days, and that link looks really handy. I'm from the Netherlands, so I'm lucky that the humidity in this country ain't bad (mostly + 50%).

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Geng and welcome - he is a lovely little tort. If you can follow Tom's advice you will have a very happy and healthy tort for a long time.
I would maybe add some tort safe plants like spider plants to the cage/enclosure to give him something to hide under and feel secure.
Have you seen www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to help find safe plants/food.

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi Geng and welcome - he is a lovely little tort. If you can follow Tom's advice you will have a very happy and healthy tort for a long time.
I would maybe add some tort safe plants like spider plants to the cage/enclosure to give him something to hide under and feel secure.
Have you seen www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to help find safe plants/food.

Thanks, will do! It's a lovely tortoise indeed :)

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Welcome! I've spent a week on this forum and learned more than I have in years of reading (more casually, but still) various sources. You're in the right place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for anwsering my question! Gonna begin with building a better enclosure these days, and that link looks really handy. I'm from the Netherlands, so I'm lucky that the humidity in this country ain't bad (mostly + 50%).

50% ambient humidity will translate to 10-20% in a heated tortoise enclosure once all the heat lamps and things are added in. Plus heating and air conditioning dry the air out too.

Every enclosure is different. You'll just have to check yours and make whatever adjustments are needed.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Geng and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your adorable Russian.
You've asked a lot of good questions and received the answers you need.
Step by step the life of your tort will improve.
And this will make you a happy tort owner, too.

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi, Geng and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your adorable Russian.
You've asked a lot of good questions and received the answers you need.
Step by step the life of your tort will improve.
And this will make you a happy tort owner, too.

Certainly, I will provide the care that a tortoise need. And thanks for your welcome!