They eat anything...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is what I found in my Aldabran poop when I was cleaning it up this afternoon:

aldabran poop.jpg

It is a latex glove. I don't use them. It's too heavy for the wind to have blown it into the yard. I did dump a box of produce trimmings in their yard a few days ago, but because it had rubber bands and wire in it, I had sorted through the trimmings pretty carefully. But that's my guess. It was probably in the trimmings.

Hector108

Wow... I have no words. The wind might have actally blown it in even though it doesn't sound like it could have happened.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Apparently your Aldabras have not heard that tortoises have survived without human help for millions of years and they know what to eat, or not eat…

:D

We should start a new thread with this. Stuff your tortoise ate. I wish I still had that Doritos bag.

Hector108

Apparently your Aldabras have not heard that tortoises have survived without human help for millions of years and they know what to eat, or not eat…

:D

We should start a new thread with this. Stuff your tortoise ate. I wish I still had that Doritos bag.

Unbelievable, your toroise ate a Doritos bag.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unbelievable, your toroise ate a Doritos bag.

Yes. It was a sulcata that was about 12" long at the time. It was one of the smaller mylar Doritos bags, like what you'd get with a lunch sandwich. Nacho cheese flavor. It was part of a turd and was compressed all together with digested leaves and grass. The turd looked kind of funny, so I opened it up with my pooper scooper. You could still read it. I'm assuming it blew in on the wind since I didn't have any like that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes. It was a sulcata that was about 12" long at the time. It was one of the smaller mylar Doritos bags, like what you'd get with a lunch sandwich. Nacho cheese flavor. It was part of a turd and was compressed all together with digested leaves and grass. The turd looked kind of funny, so I opened it up with my pooper scooper. You could still read it. I'm assuming it blew in on the wind since I didn't have any like that.
you never said it was nacho cheese! Who could blame the tortoise for wanting to eat one of those.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
other things eaten drywall and Mardi Gras beads

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
hdr_1474812691637.jpg Hi. My Rio ate a rubber band !! I'm scared to death for him. He's a picky eater. It was around some greens and it's been a few weeks now. He was acting normal.... Eating, pooping... But now he hasn't pooped in 6 or 7 days, and I'm terrified.
Been giving him a warm water jacuzzi in the sink, daily. Trying to get him to eat greens, which is always a struggle. He's been eating rather normally, so far... But not pooping now.

any ideas!?!?!

Last edited:

daniellenc

Maryland
Hi. My Rio ate a rubber band !! I'm scared to death for him. He's a picky eater. It was around some greens and it's been a few weeks now. He was acting normal.... Eating, pooping... But now he hasn't pooped in 6 or 7 days, and I'm terrified.
Been giving him a warm water jacuzzi in the sink, daily. Trying to get him to eat greens, which is always a struggle. He's been eating rather normally, so far... But not pooping now.

any ideas!?!?!
View attachment 239951

6-7 days seems like a long time how big is Rio? Impaction seems unlikely as rubber bands are small but I’d imagine it could have wrapped around intestine possibly and could require a vet. Maybe high water content food until you can get him seen.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How about a new thread about things your tortoise has eaten?
Mine ate a rat and most of a wooden rat trap with it.
This was before I even knew Redfoot would eat meat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is what I found in my Aldabran poop when I was cleaning it up this afternoon:

View attachment 170015

It is a latex glove. I don't use them. It's too heavy for the wind to have blown it into the yard. I did dump a box of produce trimmings in their yard a few days ago, but because it had rubber bands and wire in it, I had sorted through the trimmings pretty carefully. But that's my guess. It was probably in the trimmings.
Was it obvious what it was at first glance?
That's pretty crazy.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I don't have a cool tortoise story yet of him pooping out anything super unusual yet. But my daughter was looking for her favorite pair of socks, the ones that have the individual toes sewn in. Our dog crapped out one of them, I'm hoping the other one comes out okay if it's still in there.

daniellenc

Maryland
I don't have a cool tortoise story yet of him pooping out anything super unusual yet. But my daughter was looking for her favorite pair of socks, the ones that have the individual toes sewn in. Our dog crapped out one of them, I'm hoping the other one comes out okay if it's still in there.

My shepherd ate a sock once which I also didn’t realize until it showed up in the yard lol. Nasty dogs!!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
My shepherd ate a sock once which I also didn’t realize until it showed up in the yard lol. Nasty dogs!!
LOL, I've had a lot of dogs since I've moved out of my parents house all those years ago. I've never had one like the one we have now, Blue Heeler/ Australian Shepherd. They've all had their little mishaps over the years, but this one I've had to totally go through and baby proof the house just like I did when daughter hit her terrible twos.

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah all those breeds need a ton of mental and physical stimulation or they do ridiculously asinine puppy things. Our shepherd passed a few years ago and we still tell stories. Since I rescued a pit bull and he’s a docile angel.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Yeah all those breeds need a ton of mental and physical stimulation or they do ridiculously asinine puppy things. Our shepherd passed a few years ago and we still tell stories. Since I rescued a pit bull and he’s a docile angel.
Very sorry to hear that your Shepherd had passed.

daniellenc

Maryland
DF01F5B2-3108-436D-B2D4-686EDDDE5BF7.jpeg
Very sorry to hear that your Shepherd had passed.

It’s ok. She gave us many amazing years and stories. My next will be an all black shepherd named Vader but no time soon. My rescue came by accident and will remain an only dog. While he’s dog friendly he is easily overwhelmed. He’s never shown aggression but does show signs of stress. Panting, running away, hiding. He’d never do well full time with a wild puppy. Here’s a pic of him napping while I’m washing sheets before I could put a new set on cause he’s a bed lush.