Found her

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Very young ybs...her shell is deformed. I go by central park to the local pond and feed the turtles there. As I was leaving, I heard rustling in the grass. There she was. Immediately put her in my duffel bag. She lives currently in a 40g breeder with all the trimmings. A fluval fx4 is doing the cleaning. Very alert and eating too. Is there meds or a treatment to help correct the curvature or is this it? She has been with us since Thursday.

20170728_084415.jpg 20170728_084431.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Ah geez. You can't fix metabolic bone disease, but you can certainly give the little guy a better life by providing the right amount of calcium and UVB it needs to absorb the calcium. MBD may also stunt this guys growth.

How awful to ruin an animal's life and then just dump it near a pond...I'm glad there are people like you out there to notice and change their life for the better.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good rescue! I have a RES with a similar problem and although the shell will always be deformed, he is doing just fine now with me and getting the right care.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Alex. Not that young! Looks to be several years old. The upward curving is the combination of being raise too dry and exacerbated by MBD which keep the bone way too pliable. IN tortoises, dry conditions cause the edges of the scutes to force growth downward, creating valleys. In aquatics, as they continually add new keratin along the entire underside of a scute, the inbalance of too dry on top will cause the scute to bend upwards along the edges of the carapace. If you could take a good quality picture of this and post, I would like to add it as a classic example in my files.

So this was a long term captive that was released in that lake! If acting healthy, it can go on to live a good life with you. No meds will help. Think of it just as you would a severely pyramided tortoise. Get it on a good diet, and good UVB exposure (although diet will provide most of the D3 for aquatics) and you will have a "unique looking" but grateful pet!!

Maitaimommy

Sad indeed but maybe the person who "dumped' this poor turtle was trying to give it another chance. Inxperienced turtle/ tort keepers make mistakes. No one knows exactly why he was put there. The important thing is that Alex Z found him and can give him another chance:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sad indeed but maybe the person who "dumped' this poor turtle was trying to give it another chance. Inxperienced turtle/ tort keepers make mistakes. No one knows exactly why he was put there. The important thing is that Alex Z found him and can give him another chance:)
There is absolutely no good reason to dump an animal of any kind! Wanting to give an animal a better life then what one can give is a good thing. So, you take it to an animal/reptile rescue, you don't dump it! Dumping an animal is animal abuse and neglect period!!!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Alex. Not that young! Looks to be several years old. The upward curving is the combination of being raise too dry and exacerbated by MBD which keep the bone way too pliable. IN tortoises, dry conditions cause the edges of the scutes to force growth downward, creating valleys. In aquatics, as they continually add new keratin along the entire underside of a scute, the inbalance of too dry on top will cause the scute to bend upwards along the edges of the carapace. If you could take a good quality picture of this and post, I would like to add it as a classic example in my files.

So this was a long term captive that was released in that lake! If acting healthy, it can go on to live a good life with you. No meds will help. Think of it just as you would a severely pyramided tortoise. Get it on a good diet, and good UVB exposure (although diet will provide most of the D3 for aquatics) and you will have a "unique looking" but grateful pet!!

Beautifully worded!! And ty...I will when I get back home later today..

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
There is absolutely no good reason to dump an animal of any kind! Wanting to give an animal a better life then what one can give is a good thing. So, you take it to an animal/reptile rescue, you don't dump it! Dumping an animal is animal abuse and neglect period!!!
I agree that an animal should not be "dumped". However, it is possible that the person (maybe a child?) did not think of his/her action as "dumping" the animal, but rather, as "freeing" or "releasing" it from an unfortunate or untenable situation in the best way that he/she was capable of. It could be that the person who did this did it with the best interest of the animal at heart, albeit that it was done in ignorance, and should not have been.

Maitaimommy

Well stated! I would use the word inexperience instead of ignorance though:)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Glad to hear that!! Where do you keep it housed?
In a big plastic tub in my garden at home.
I will look for some pics of "Alfie" and post them in here so you can compare him with yours.