Found her

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Very young ybs...her shell is deformed. I go by central park to the local pond and feed the turtles there. As I was leaving, I heard rustling in the grass. There she was. Immediately put her in my duffel bag. She lives currently in a 40g breeder with all the trimmings. A fluval fx4 is doing the cleaning. Very alert and eating too. Is there meds or a treatment to help correct the curvature or is this it? She has been with us since Thursday.

View attachment 214049 View attachment 214050
Oh my! Poor thing! But how lucky for her to have been found by you, Alex! Thank you for taking her in, you have very likely saved her life.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Here is Alfie, same kind of problem, it seems.
He was "dumped" at a pet store by someone who just did not want him any more. I took him home (earlier this year) and he is doing very well, it appears.

I cannot upload the photo, don't know why. Oh well. I will try to find a previous post I made which has some pics of him, if they are still there!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I cannot find the post with the pictures...but it's definitely the same problem of severe MBD.

Alex, I won't trespass on your thread any more talking about my turtle, but just to let you know that I appreciate your taking in that little one!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
What an AWESOME story! Good luck, Alex. I hope you have found yourself a shelled friend for life. And he/she is so lucky to have found you!

Ty so much, sorry I have posyed the pics...I been so caught up with baby solomn, our new 4 month old redfoot...

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I cannot find the post with the pictures...but it's definitely the same problem of severe MBD.

Alex, I won't trespass on your thread any more talking about my turtle, but just to let you know that I appreciate your taking in that little one!

Oh no!! I love hearing stories like these and getting knowledge from other members. You won't hear me ever complain about that!! Lol..

I cannot see alfie at all.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Oh my! Poor thing! But how lucky for her to have been found by you, Alex! Thank you for taking her in, you have very likely saved her life.

I believe I did ty kindly!! I rescued gus gus last september dealing with the same issues. He is a big male res. He is so sweet...When I took jim from the idiot that had him, he was as soft as cotton candy. Now he is as strong as steel. Lives like a king.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Very happy to report the lil nameless is one is very healthy!! My gf took her to the vet and no parasites or infections. The doc said she will grow a lil more but not much. She is strong and healthy. As well as feed her alone for a month whike mixing her food with calcium supplement!!!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Here is the lil starlett!!

Attachments

• download_20170806_082207.jpg
    download_20170806_082207.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 21
  • download_20170806_082225.jpg
    download_20170806_082225.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 21
  • download_20170806_082229.jpg
    download_20170806_082229.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 21
  • download_20170806_082236.jpg
    download_20170806_082236.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 22

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
She really is cute! and petite! That deformed shell just adds to her uniqueness. Rescued animals tend to know they have been saved by their saviors and they often make the best pets. Wishing you Guys my best.

Ty so much..she is very sweet and eager with lots of energy..

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Her beauty shines through, and so does yours, Alex. Well done!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Right then! Found pics of Alfie in a previous thread I started.

Here he is:

Turt.jpg Turt.jpg Turt-2.jpg
Don't know why 2 of the same pic came in. Anyway you can see the similarity in the deformed shells on both turtles, mine and Alex's. MBD in action, but no more!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Alfie is outdoors most of the time unless it gets too cold. He is in a plastic tub with rocks to climb on and bask.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you show me?
I can take the pictures and hope they can be posted, sure!
So Monday if the weekend weather permits. I am not on line weekends, generally - too much outdoor work to do!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well here goes - Alfie in his small but "nice" little pool. He will get a bigger one soon!

oooops. Trying again.