The beginnings of an outdoor enclosure for a Leopard

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
How many inches should I ask the fence guy to make the visual barrier? He asked today and I said I wasn’t sure but I’d get back to him. Doesn’t look like yours is the 2’ I was thinking I would need. 😄
I have always used fences I can see through for better viewing of my tortoises. I want to be able to see the tortoises from sitting anywhere on the property to enjoy them! A visual barrier would be a visual barrier for me as well! I also am making this newer place as a future education center - so visibility of the tortoises from a distance is a plus for me.

Therefore - I go against the general advice of most here on the forum as far as see-through fencing for tortoises. I have always used the type show or wrought iron fencing with no issues for my tortoises the past 30 years or so now. Sulcatas, leopards, galapagos and Burmese Stars. Keep in mind I also have quite large pens with that fencing.

The fence shown has a 2x6 bottom board - for guarding against any pushing against the bottom and getting any give to the wire fencing. For the Galapagos I use hog panel fencing in place of the wire. That fence is 34" tall as opposed to the 24" tall radiata fence shown above.

Here's a section of the Galapagos fencing. The sections by the barn are movable panels for rotating pastures. This is a 1/2 acre pen:

IMG_1543(1).jpg

Looking the other way:

IMG_1547(1).jpg

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
I have always used fences I can see through for better viewing of my tortoises. I want to be able to see the tortoises from sitting anywhere on the property to enjoy them! A visual barrier would be a visual barrier for me as well! I also am making this newer place as a future education center - so visibility of the tortoises from a distance is a plus for me.

Therefore - I go against the general advice of most here on the forum as far as see-through fencing for tortoises. I have always used the type show or wrought iron fencing with no issues for my tortoises the past 30 years or so now. Sulcatas, leopards, galapagos and Burmese Stars. Keep in mind I also have quite large pens with that fencing.

The fence shown has a 2x6 bottom board - for guarding against any pushing against the bottom and getting any give to the wire fencing. For the Galapagos I use hog panel fencing in place of the wire. That fence is 34" tall as opposed to the 24" tall radiata fence shown above.

Here's a section of the Galapagos fencing. The sections by the barn are movable panels for rotating pastures. This is a 1/2 acre pen:

View attachment 368167

Looking the other way:

View attachment 368168
Lmk when you’re ready to host FIELD TRIPS! I wanna go! Educate me! 😍

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How many inches should I ask the fence guy to make the visual barrier? He asked today and I said I wasn’t sure but I’d get back to him. Doesn’t look like yours is the 2’ I was thinking I would need. 😄
Unlike Mark, I have seen tortoise rub themselves bloody trying to push through see-through fencing. I've seen my own do it and at many other people's places. I saw a sulcata do this on a 10 acre property that he had the run of, so it isn't pen size. Mark and I have friends in FL that have been using see-through fencing without issue, and Mark hasn't seen issues, but I have. Some tortoises will hurt themselves on it, and some tortoises won't. I don't know why this is, but it is.

For a leopard, the visual barrier doesn't need to be tall. 6-12 inches should be enough to stop them from injuring themselves. 16-18 inches would be enough to keep the tortoise's head in where your dogs can't reach it.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Unlike Mark, I have seen tortoise rub themselves bloody trying to push through see-through fencing. I've seen my own do it and at many other people's places. I saw a sulcata do this on a 10 acre property that he had the run of, so it isn't pen size. Mark and I have friends in FL that have been using see-through fencing without issue, and Mark hasn't seen issues, but I have. Some tortoises will hurt themselves on it, and some tortoises won't. I don't know why this is, but it is.

For a leopard, the visual barrier doesn't need to be tall. 6-12 inches should be enough to stop them from injuring themselves. 16-18 inches would be enough to keep the tortoise's head in where your dogs can't reach it.
Sounds like a plan. I definitely know I need a barrier for that reason! I was just hoping I could possibly get a few more inches for my view! I’ll plan on the frame being the 2x6 and adding two more above that frame behind the metal panels. Does that seem conservative enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a plan. I definitely know I need a barrier for that reason! I was just hoping I could possibly get a few more inches for my view! I’ll plan on the frame being the 2x6 and adding two more above that frame behind the metal panels. Does that seem conservative enough?
With a leopard, I would feel comfortable with the 6 inch base plus one more 6 inch board. You know your dogs and your tortoise though. If you add one more 6 inch board, there should be no chance of injury.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
With a leopard, I would feel comfortable with the 6 inch base plus one more 6 inch board. You know your dogs and your tortoise though. If you add one more 6 inch board, there should be no chance of injury.
You’re all so amazing! So many questions come to mind and you guys are so much better than Alexa or Google. Ha! Seriously though, I want to do this right and I am so glad I found this group!!!!!

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Me again 🫣! So the person I’ve hired to build my enclosure is a woodworker. I’ve sent him the plans for @Tom heated night box. He has graciously agreed to take my money erm build it for me. I’ve provided him with the plans for a 4x8 house. Which I understand may be over kill for a single regular leopard. That said my logic is whispering to me that having more heated space wouldn’t be a bad idea during the cooler rainier spells. Is my logic lying to me? If say I ended up with a Burmese star I think I understand there would be potential to eventually have more than one in the same enclosure. Still over kill? Should I decrease the size of the house?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Me again 🫣! So the person I’ve hired to build my enclosure is a woodworker. I’ve sent him the plans for @Tom heated night box. He has graciously agreed to take my money erm build it for me. I’ve provided him with the plans for a 4x8 house. Which I understand may be over kill for a single regular leopard. That said my logic is whispering to me that having more heated space wouldn’t be a bad idea during the cooler rainier spells. Is my logic lying to me? If say I ended up with a Burmese star I think I understand there would be potential to eventually have more than one in the same enclosure. Still over kill? Should I decrease the size of the house?
4x4 will get the current job done. 4x8 feet of indoor warm space will do no harm, and it allows for unforeseen circumstances that may pop up in the future, like adding tortoises, which is quite common. I'd even have him build the double doors with a removable divider in case you ever need to divide the enclosure. If that never happens, then your one tortoise can have a large space inside its box with no down side. You can just leave one door closed all the time.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
So the walls with creeping fig are going to be a major obstacle. Neither neighbor is willing to allow me to remove it from their side. I got a quote today to remove it and the guy said it’s growing from my side and two neighbors. I asked both and they both said no. Fun fun! I may be living vicariously indefinitely at this point.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
So the walls with creeping fig are going to be a major obstacle. Neither neighbor is willing to allow me to remove it from their side. I got a quote today to remove it and the guy said it’s growing from my side and two neighbors. I asked both and they both said no. Fun fun! I may be living vicariously indefinitely at this point.
My landscaper is confident with weekly trimmings he can prevent the plant from regrowing down the walls from the neighbors side. We’ll be vigilant about trimmings not being left behind. They rake and remove trimmings already as it is.

Fence update! We settled on the builder and price. He is starting April 8th 🙃

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
IMG_7007.jpeg
Now that I have little pink flags marking enclosure boundaries I am posting my BEFORE picture! Excited this is starting to happen! That large bush is being removed Monday and I’ve slowly started removing that creeping fig. Hope to have it all gone in the next week or two. The fence will be done next week. I think I’m going to remove all that rock while I prep the ground mark the space for the night box and start on my pond. I hope no one minds me using the thread to document my progress from start to finish!

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
I still have a long way to go but I am so happy with how this is coming together! Thank you Tom for encouraging me to go larger, I can’t even imagine having this be as small as I originally thought I needed per Google. 😆
View attachment 369382
And since I can’t edit. He told me the enclosure is 700sq ft-ish. Ha. I hope this will suit my future tort well!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And since I can’t edit. He told me the enclosure is 700sq ft-ish. Ha. I hope this will suit my future tort well!
That is looking pretty awesome. And your dog choice is pretty awesome too. I love Danes. I've had 9 of them.