Temps too cold at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Now that it's winter and a little colder in my house, Nelson's enclosure gets down to the low 60s at night. Is this too cold for him since he's only 7-months old?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
How low is low? Like 61-63? I'd prolly try to bump it up alittle. Maybe get a space heater for the room, so its not direct heat, but ambient.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Meg90 said:
How low is low? Like 61-63? I'd prolly try to bump it up alittle. Maybe get a space heater for the room, so its not direct heat, but ambient.

Yes it has never gone below 61. I do have a space heater in the room that I turn on when I go to bed, so his enclosure might get a little warmer when I'm asleep!

Thanks Meg and Kelly!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Sometimes my adult breeding group's enclosure will get into the high 50's at night. It's rare, but it happens in the winter. They have never showed any adverse affects. They live in the basement, but my younger ones live upstairs where it is a bit warmer. I still would be fine with them going down that low. They are built to take that kind of climate. They are not a tropical tortoise. Actually my red foot's only night time heat is a heating pad on the side of his hidebox. Overall his enclosure gets into about the same range, at night, but he always spends the night in the box where it is nice and warm and humid. He sure loves that box :)

Good luck with the tortoise! Russians are my favorite

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Low 60's, even as low as 55 degrees is fine at night for Russians and Northern Mediterranean tortoises as long as temperatures during the daytime reach normal activity levels.

Russian tortoises are very accustomed to a 15-20 degree or more temperature difference from day to night. As are most Northern Mediterranean tortoises.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm in So Cal - and my russians are outside at night when the day temperatures are over 70. It gets down to the 40's at night, but as long as it stays warm during the day (it's been in the 70s) they still come out to sun and eat like pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.