Tails

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So this ones for you Tom . Have you seen little sulcatas walk with there tails down ? My male sulcata walks with his tail to the side. But the young I have walks with its tail down . So heres the question don't females walk with there tails down ??? Could this be a early sign of a female ? Or am I hopeful thinking??

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
mike taylor said:
So this ones for you Tom . Have you seen little sulcatas walk with there tails down ? My male sulcata walks with his tail to the side. But the young I have walks with its tail down . So heres the question don't females walk with there tails down ??? Could this be a early sign of a female ? Or am I hopeful thinking??

I suspect you are correct.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Tails

wellington said:
(In my singing voice, that luckily you don't have to hear)
You like tortoise butts and you can not lie. :p :D

You crazy girl you crazy!! :p:p

Where are you hiding Tom.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello Mr Tom. @Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Mike, as one tortoise butt watcher to another, I'm not sure about this. My 3 1/2 year old sulcata is a male. At times he will walk with his tail down. Almost always right after a BM he will, and some other times. Mostly he has it tucked away for safe keeping. I think as a baby I would see the tail a lot more than I do these days. Then again, I have but one tortoise butt to watch. Others have seen many.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had to think about this a bit. I don't often see my sulcatas with their tails down and I'm trying to remember times when I saw this and which one did it. It is very infrequent at my place...

I even went back and looked at some butt pics and all of them had their tails tucked up and to the side. I've got some hatchlings right now and all have their tails up and tucked to the side.

Sorry. I got no help for you...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well I guess I gave you something to ponder. My little guy is about four inches and my big guy is almost seventeen inches . Little guy tail down all the time. Big guy tail to the side all the time .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, new project for everyone. Start watching those tortoise butts and keep record of what the tail does. Then when the sex is determined, let us know:p :D
LMAO, I just got a vision, of a bunch of tort owners anxiously sitting and watching their torts butts:D

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness I was just giggling aloud once again. Yet another "only on tortoise forum" is it ok to assign a project. This one involving butt watching. I'm giggling just typing this.

It's an interesting observation and I look forward to watching this one.

For the record, Benny hangs to the left and very occasionally swings straight down. ;). But he's a leopard so it may not count.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Funny, just earlier today I was noticing how my "assumed female" leopard always walks with her short tail down...

She is 4" also.

Hmmmm.....

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've noticed freckles always has her tail out when she walks and it's funny to me because she has a tiki face on her butt so it looks like the tiki is sticking it's tongue out hahahaha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess I should have said what my male leopard always did and does. Tail too the side.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Tails

Elohi said:
I've noticed freckles always has her tail out when she walks and it's funny to me because she has a tiki face on her butt so it looks like the tiki is sticking it's tongue out hahahaha

You have three little ones right ?? If so do all three keep there tails to the side or down ??

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
mike taylor said:
Elohi said:

You have three little ones right ?? If so do all three keep there tails to the side or down ??

Freckles always has her tail out and usually straight down. Beans and Watson usually have their tail up, and tucked to the side. Beans will sometimes show her tail but it's still usually tucked to the side. Same for Watson.
Here is freckles tiki face, tongue out LOL
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387138456.836778.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387138597.551911.jpg

Watson with tail tucked. Freckles in the background, tail out.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387138676.251907.jpg

Beans letting her tail out. Also giving her the appearing of a tiki mask sticking it's tongue out.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387138846.435892.jpg

Proof that Beans and Watson actually have tails LOL.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387138751.301914.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm thinking that the tail down will turn out female and the other two will be males. Even when there tail is down its not straight down it's always side ways . I'm thinking it's a male thing to protect there junk .:D:p

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
mike taylor said:
I'm thinking that the tail down will turn out female and the other two will be males. Even when there tail is down its not straight down it's always side ways . I'm thinking it's a male thing to protect there junk .:D:p

I've always called Freckles "she" but best case scene too for me is 3 females or that Freckles is male and the other two are female.

Greg T, what were their incubation temps? Lololol