Summer preparations-Tips VERY welcome!

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459520508.587390.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459520520.022678.jpg
All filled up with a nice big water dish :)
As for planting... I really don't know what to do. Might have a stroll in the country park and dig up some weeds. I wish I could just go to the garden centre and buy a load of plants that he could eat but they just have to use all those chemicals, don't they. :(

Rue

Canada
You could grow your own...start them in those little biodegradable pots maybe? Find someone who can give you spider plant babies?

Just check with friends and families for edible houseplants that they don't want anymore...

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
You could grow your own...start them in those little biodegradable pots maybe? Find someone who can give you spider plant babies?

Just check with friends and families for edible houseplants that they don't want anymore...
I am 'trying' to grow my own. However, I am not very green fingered. And as for family... I've never seen any edible house plants, only cut flowers.

I am debating weather to plant in seed trays or directly into the enclosure. o_O

Reactions: Rue

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Just chucked a load of seeds in the enclosure this morning.
I put:
Two different seed mixes
Pansies and
Nasturtiums.
:)

Reactions: Rue

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Just chucked a load of seeds in the enclosure this morning.
I put:
Two different seed mixes
Pansies and
Nasturtiums.
:)

Careful with the Nasturtiums. I started mine in a very small mini-green house kinda thing that I got from Home Depot. HOLY MOLEY DID THEY GET HUGE!!! I had to cut them back and repot them entirely because of their enormous root systems. Granted I had no idea what I was in for with them. But I haven't gotten any flowers yet. They're inside so that's probably why.
Nice seed mix! Looking good!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462726122.761912.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462726143.047085.jpg
Spud spent the day outside today :)
I did some gardening - planted 3 seed trays. I just put some salad bits in the enclosure as that's all I could get. He will have weeds when they're finished growing. He spent most of the day burrowed down after having a walk around. The second pic was when I dug him up.

Now he's having a nice soak. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462726374.662718.jpg
He is not eating very much and won't eat his weeds. :( if he doesn't eat them soon I will have to squirt some cucumber juice on them.

Kori5

He won't eat anything ( not including tomato cucumber and that kind) or just his weeds?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
He won't eat anything ( not including tomato cucumber and that kind) or just his weeds?
He will only eat the odd bit of lettuce or cress. It is very unlike him. He just isn't interested in food and hasn't been since yesterday. At least he ate a bit of something though.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ot's a bit soon to get concerned. They can go several days without eating and come to no harm. Keep soaking him every morning so he stays hydrated. Tomorrow will be a little cooler, so he may deceide he is hungry again

Kori5

I wouldn't worry if he is eating, even a little bit. A have an adult who has phases when he eats so little and gives me migrenes :). He is healthy as s horse but the do worry us sometimes. I think he might be too hot as you said he was burried all day? Because in the wild they tend to go outside in the morning and afternoon. During the hottest part, they stay burried.

Pawciorc

Malta
Dont let Spud in or somehow separate him from the seedings. Or in an eye blink he eats all of them. Torts are seeding fans!!!