Growing Sulcata Food?

lanalover15

I am going to start my babies inside for their first year. I planned on growing their seed mixes in those flat seed starting trays. What is the best soil mix to use? Can I put the flats in the cage so they can eat as they wish? Any tips on growing food in winter? Can I grow and feed them salad mixes for humans?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I grew from seeds, inside for winter, I used coconut coir to grow them in. It worked, not too bad either. Other winter foods, other then what ever you can feed that is as natural as possible, is almost all the greens that are in the supermarket for humans. Very little spinach, but spring mix, collard greens, mustard greens, kale, endive, escarole, dandelion can be found in markets. Look on the tortoisetable.org.uk

lanalover15

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
so you let him eat as much as he pleases? Also are all species of aloes, agaves, and other succulents and cacti safe if the eat a little? I want some for décor and want them to be safe?
Yes I do, and boy does he love to eat! As far as I understand all species of aloe are safe, but I believe there are some succulents that are not. Agave I am not certain on either, but at the rate mine are growing it won't make a difference any time soon anyway! Opuntia cactus is definitely the way to go, cactus-wise, although Odin does enjoy Christmas cactus also.
As far as decor, spider plants are great, they nibble them, but they don't really chow down. If you direct plant aloe they will likely be eaten down to the ground, which I am obviously okay with considering how mine keep reproducing.

lanalover15

Yes I do, and boy does he love to eat! As far as I understand all species of aloe are safe, but I believe there are some succulents that are not. Agave I am not certain on either, but at the rate mine are growing it won't make a difference any time soon anyway! Opuntia cactus is definitely the way to go, cactus-wise, although Odin does enjoy Christmas cactus also.
As far as decor, spider plants are great, they nibble them, but they don't really chow down. If you direct plant aloe they will likely be eaten down to the ground, which I am obviously okay with considering how mine keep reproducing.
ok thanks so much!!! any way I could see some pics of your boy?

lanalover15

and also
do you know if miracle gro cactus soil is dangerous for baby tortoises? What about the maricle gro organic soil? What do you grow your food in?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
ok thanks so much!!! any way I could see some pics of your boy?
Heck yes! I have billions, or millions...well...a lot, but i'm at work at the moment. I think you can click on my avatar and look at my media?

and also

do you know if miracle gro cactus soil is dangerous for baby tortoises? What about the maricle gro organic soil? What do you grow your food in?

I do use the miracle grow soils for the plants he doesn't have direct access to, there are little balls of plant food in there and that white vermiculite stuff that he will taste when given the chance. For his snack trays that go directly into his enclosure I use a mix of organic soil and coconut coir.