substrate moisture

Kaska

I'm new to this and getting my first tortoise. From what I understand I need to keep the underneath of the substrate moist for humidity but not the top. How do you do that? If I mist, that is only going to get the top layer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species?
What size tortoise?
What size enclosure?
What substrate?
Open or closed top?

Generally speaking spraying the enclosure is ineffective. You'll need to dump water into the substrate to keep it damp. How much water and how often depends on many variables, and is different for everyone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If this is for a Redfoot. Pour warm water into the corners. You will have to do trial and error to see how much is too much or too little.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and keep asking questions when in doubt.

Do not forget to post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure once you get him/her.

Kaska

What species?
What size tortoise?
What size enclosure?
What substrate?
Open or closed top?

Generally speaking spraying the enclosure is ineffective. You'll need to dump water into the substrate to keep it damp. How much water and how often depends on many variables, and is different for everyone.

It is for a 2yr old redfoot, approx 5 inches. I am using orchid bark for the substrate. It is going to first be in a temporary enclosure of a 20gal Long tank with a screen lid because the turtle box is not yet ready. That is going to be about 5ft by 3 ft, I think, open top. I've been looking at designs and am building a custom box enclosure.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It is for a 2yr old redfoot, approx 5 inches. I am using orchid bark for the substrate. It is going to first be in a temporary enclosure of a 20gal Long tank with a screen lid because the turtle box is not yet ready. That is going to be about 5ft by 3 ft, I think, open top. I've been looking at designs and am building a custom box enclosure.
I'd make it with a closed top. You need to be able to control the heat and humidity, in an open top it's impossible unless you are lucky enough to live in a tropical climate.
For substrate have about 2 to 3" of damp coir, with either cyprus mulch or orchid bark on top of that to keep your tort off the moist substrate. Have 2 water dishes big enough for your tort to soak in. With temps at 80 to 86f throughout these 2 water dishes will keep the humidity up at around 85%. Have a CHE on a stat controlling the ambient temp and a florescent uvb strip light. This type of uvb won't dry your torts carapace out, with redfoots we are lucky in a way because they don't need a 95f basking spot that is constantly trying to dry them out. Put your uvb light to one end of the enclosure so the opposite end is dark. They don't like it too bright. I've caught mine eating in the early hours of the morning before lights come on quite a lot. Hope that helps.
Nearly forgot. Put a hide at each end of the enclosure with some spaghnum moss in so he can dig in at night and keep the carapace moist.