Starting to take shape!

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South South Texas,
Yesterday I started planting in the future redfoot yard. I lined fence with five cactus of three varieties, and also added a hibiscus. I like the thought of having that particular fence lined with cactus as a security measure, so I think I'm going to line the length (80') with it. It's a very satisfying thought. In the next few days I'll add another hibiscus, a guava tree, a papaya and a peach tree sapling. It won't be much shade in the summer sun, but next spring it should be well on its way, and I don't foresee needing it anytime before then.IMG_1965.JPG

As an update, it's been a few days since we had a bad experience with the neighbor, but both torts are doing well. I was worried Sophie, small and delicate as she is, would have gone off her feed or become frightened of hands, but she is thriving and unafraid. She leans into shell rubs. And is very active.image.jpg
I notice there was a great video on redfoot posted on KampKenan yesterday, just FYI.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you going to have a house or other places to get in out of the heat? (Mine are up at dawn and then go away again until late afternoon when it gets cooler again.)
I'd also suggest a little shallow pool and a sprinkler on a hose that can "rain" every day for a half half hour or so.
Any chance of your idiot neighbor messing with your Redfoot? Is that wall the one that separates you?

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
I'm planning on two 4x4' movable shades built from 4x4's and corrugated plastic for a year or two, until the area has its own shade. Also one lg night box and 3-4 hiding areas.
A small pool is a must, though I'm not sure yet whether it will be concrete or modified kiddie.
Yes, that's the problem neighbor. She is very large, and could never get over the 6' fence even if she wanted to, but the cactus along there is a little extra insurance.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I planted some nasty bougainvillea along the fence I share with my "curious" neighbor. I may have mentioned that previously.
The water pools are easy.
Dig a large but not very deep, dished impression in the ground. Toss some sort of screening or wire in it. Pour in a bag of mixed up mortar mix and make it pretty smooth.
They are easily cleaned with a broom and a hose.
I cheated by forming my two old pools with bricks and then using mortar on top.
They also have self watering pipes plumbed in.
The new little pool is for my baby enclosure and is actually a terra cotta saucer, surrounded by paving bricks with some morter.
20 munutes. Ten bucks and last forever.

Attachments

• 20170331_160222.jpg
    20170331_160222.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20160508_105756.jpg
    20160508_105756.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20160414_161533.jpg
    20160414_161533.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 23