Starting from scratch

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
So, I am going to start a new outside tortoise area, today! The greenhouse I have right now only receives sunlight year round, so that's part of the reason for the change. Also, having two very large tanks isn't working in my small, studio size room. We are doing it at grandmas house. The plan: chain link fence on the side to allow sun, and to keep my pitbull out when he comes over (he is too interested in them for my comfort), bricks along the fence buried, along with chicken wire about one foot deep, and the house will sit on one end on the cement to allow more space. The length is 32' and the width starts at 4' and narrows down to 28". Let me know if you guys think. Here's the space from both ends. The images were taken at 9am here in the valley of California.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1390324827.066873.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390324846.162370.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Morning Blake.
My only real concern is the chain-link fence. I get the need to keep your dog out. If you could maybe put 16" plywood strips along the bottom on the inside, to keep the tortoises from pushing on and injuring themselves with the chain link it would be better. It will be smaller and tighter space wise as the years go by. Cutting plywood in strips of 16" gives you 3 pieces that equal 24' of coverage.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I guess i didnt mention, We are putting 6 steel posts to keep the fence nice and sturdy. Does that work better, Ken? I should also mention that I am done in my credential program in 1.5 years. So, I should be moving out and a larger space will be dedicated to Dexter and his space. He's currently 5.5 pounds, 9 inches long and 7 inches wide at the age of 22 months, so I think it should be good for a little over a year, hopefully?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I agree with Ken about the fence. I went through this a year ago. Chuck would pace along the chain link fence, stopping to stick his head through the openings. Then he would make a banked turn using the fence and stick one of his legs through. I finally put up the plywood when he tore a corner off one of his costal scutes. Ouch.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
So a little change. No bricks alon the fence. We plan on bringing the chicken wire a foot down and bending it at a 90 degree angle. We will start it at the 2x4 an will bend it down so Dexter can dig a little. At one whole end, we will have a mound of dirt to dig into and make a mini burrow. I want to start a burrow so he doesn't dig under the cement.

Also, no more chain link fence. We will be putting this. It's wide enough where they can't fit through but the head will. And these stakes will go Into the ground. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390336155.755898.jpg

The stakes are 5 feet tall. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390336188.329043.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1390337634.215911.jpg

For the chicken wire.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just to help you out a little . If your tortoise can't see out he will not want out . They can climb trust me . Put something along the bottom so he can't see out . Here is a picture of the plywood idea Ken mentioned. Your enclosure is awesome . I'm sure your tortoise will love it .
I also added a picture of a burrow I made out of a 30 gallon plastic drum . I cut the half the bottom off . Then buried it at a angle . Then back filled the inside up to the other half of the bottom . The drum will keep him from digging under the driveway .

Attachments

• 1390347502752.jpg
    1390347502752.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1390347522247.jpg
    1390347522247.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 72

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It's done, for now. What do you guys think?

mike taylor said:
Just to help you out a little . If your tortoise can't see out he will not want out . They can climb trust me . Put something along the bottom so he can't see out . Here is a picture of the plywood idea Ken mentioned. Your enclosure is awesome . I'm sure your tortoise will love it .
I also added a picture of a burrow I made out of a 30 gallon plastic drum . I cut the half the bottom off . Then buried it at a angle . Then back filled the inside up to the other half of the bottom . The drum will keep him from digging under the driveway .

Shame on me for not thinking about the idea of not being able to see out! And what a grey idea about the drum burrow. I was going to start one, but the plastic box is a better idea. Thanks, Mike.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
So, I have the oil heater in there now. I will be connecting it to the thermostat. My dad seems to think it'll be okay to sit on bricks, but I am unsure. He screwed a nail into the wall and tied a wire to the screw. I know it has written on the heater that it should be 3 feet away from objects for a reason, but have you all had any problems? Before I put my guys in there 24/7, I want to have it perfect and safe. Feedback?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just keep any hay or substrate away from the heater. Use a barrier.

I also recommend a strip of plywood along the bottom of the fence. On the inside, not outside.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I actually ended up using a black pond liner as a sight barrier, on the inside. It's pretty well secured. I am more worried about the oil heater right now. It can't burn them, I'm more worried about it being a fire hazard.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Blake m said:
I actually ended up using a black pond liner as a sight barrier, on the inside. It's pretty well secured. I am more worried about the oil heater right now. It can't burn them, I'm more worried about it being a fire hazard.
Heather built a night box for her leopards that had an oil filled heater with, what I thought, was a very clever barrier. You will find a picture of it here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-83326.html

I took a simple approach to the barrier using a 2x10.

In your box I would consider putting it on an angle in the corner opposite the door, or like Heather did, at the sleeping end of the box.
I have also found that a small fan is great for circulating air and keeping the heat more even throughout the box. I adapted a case fan from a computer. One like this:
http://www.acinfinity.com/115v-ac-fans/80x80x25-mm/115v-ac-cooltron-fan-80mm-x-25mm-hs/
It is 115vac. If you get one also get the speed control unit that comes with it so you can adjust the amount of air movement.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390687202.890213.jpg

Dexter loves the space. He was walking away after eating some cactus and spring mix. All I need to do is get the thermostat set up, a barrier for the oil heater, and the heat where it should be and they can stay in over night.