South African Leopard Tortoises - wet or dry???

Fl@sh

The leopard tortoises don't get stunted in an environment that isn't humid. I've seen them at the Kruger National Park. Its dry as a bone there but there is always water somewhere for drinking. Although torts have to trek kilometres for it, it's still available. Humid is for smooth she'll growth maybe but I can assure you it's not their natural climate. Also in winter the Kruger gets to about -5 C and they survive. Obviously none of us just want our tortoises to just survive. Just know that they are quite hardy.

Dry conditions do not stunt growth only when there is no water to drink do they suffer. Also I read alot in this forum about temps 105 degree. You guys do know that it rarely reaches 35 degrees in the wild. Mostly around 30.

Sunlight or proper uvb and correct heat with a mist here and there is perfectly fine. Sunlight is a must for me. At least 4 times or so a week. The torts have more energy and their digestive system works and thrives off them walking around. This also leads to increased appetite and thus grazing on grass.

Last edited:

Fl@sh

Well actually due to global warming its around 35 degrees more often. Look I would recommend you mist your enclosure a few times a day but don't overstress about humidity. As we speak its 26% humidity here.

Healthy diet is also key.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Well actually due to global warming its around 35 degrees more often. Look I would recommend you mist your enclosure a few times a day but don't overstress about humidity. As we speak its 26% humidity here.

Please tell us your experience and how many torts you've raised.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The leopard tortoises don't get stunted in an environment that isn't humid. I've seen them at the Kruger National Park. Its dry as a bone there but there is always water somewhere for drinking. Although torts have to trek kilometres for it, it's still available. Humid is for smooth she'll growth maybe but I can assure you it's not their natural climate. Also in winter the Kruger gets to about -5 C and they survive. Obviously none of us just want our tortoises to just survive. Just know that they are quite hardy.

Dry conditions do not stunt growth only when there is no water to drink do they suffer. Also I read alot in this forum about temps 105 degree. You guys do know that it rarely reaches 35 degrees in the wild. Mostly around 30.

Sunlight or proper uvb and correct heat with a mist here and there is perfectly fine. Sunlight is a must for me. At least 4 times or so a week. The torts have more energy and their digestive system works and thrives off them walking around. This also leads to increased appetite and thus grazing on grass.
@Tom what's your thoughts lol

Fl@sh

I've raised my tortoise on dry substrate and I mist his enclosure 3 times a day lightly. He is 1 yr 3 months and spends most of his time outside in a dry climate. Weather permitting obviously. Although I have observed these tortoise and seen plenty of them in the Kruger Park. The conditions can be observed by anyone online aswell.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wet and dry are relative. Kruger Park is a fair bit more rainy and humid than much of what the dry climate inhabiting North Americans are used to. Just looking at the precipitation averages - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruger_National_Park , you have several months with more than 2.5" of rain. Compared with somewhere like Phoenix, Arizona (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix,_Arizona) or Las Vegas (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas) that looks awfully wet. Just looking at your weekly forecast (http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/South-Africa/Kruger-National-Park/14-Day-Forecast.aspx), it's 21% RH right now, but tomorrow will get up to 80%, the next day, 99%. This is quite different than those in the American deserts sitting around 10-20% RH everyday.

What works for keepers in one geographic region doesn't always work in another. A lot of sulcata and leopard keepers on this forum are fighting much dryer climates than you, so ensuring extra humidity is important.

Fl@sh

I'm not saying leave your torts outside. By the way the entire of South Africa is going through a water shortage and droughts. Only recently did it rain. Which alleviated some of the problem but it hardly rains in the highveld of the Kruger Park.

Fl@sh

When my tort is outdoors I don't mist his enclosure at all just a tray of water ample shade, weeds and grass. When he is indoors I mist his enclosure. My outdoor temperature is 28-30 degrees Celsius.

Fl@sh

Guys the truth is leopard tortoises don't grow up in 80 percent humidity. Most no matter what you do naturally pyramid. I believe the parts in between the scutes don't grow out and is either a coping mechanism but none the less a natural occurrence. I fully agree that babies and juveniles even adults should be soaked because if your tort is a weaker tort from a creep you can nurture it and help it along. In some cases Darwinism wins. In the wild I've seen many dead leopard tortoise babies. They just aren't the fitest of the creep. Now obviously you wouldn't want a dead tortoise in captivity so yes soaking and hydration is good.to strengthen vital organs in development but some torts you'll find won't survive no matter what.

Fl@sh

Just to be clear I am a huge fan of a hydrated tortoise and daily soaks and hydrating snacks along a healthy balanced diet.

Fl@sh

My argument is in an indoor enclosure that has the right temps, diet and uvb, humidity doesn't have to be 80 percent. Just a mist 2 or 3 times a day should be fine. Humidity is not something that is a must. Provide hydration in other ways. Its the natural order of the leopard tortoise, like it or not. They are some what hardy and have a fighting spirit if naturally selected or raised with the above care

Fl@sh

Keep scrolling till you see the man sitting down on the grass with leos. He has 50 yeard old leos raised in dry climate and look how beautiful they are. He is from South Africa

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Most of us don't live in South Africa. We have to provide conditions that help our tortoises to grow smoothly and healthy. It is old school to keep tortoises on alfalfa pellets with no water and under a hot light. This old school information is what the majority of new tortoise people are following. We're fighting a battle daily to turn that thinking around.

Also, you can't go by the weather conditions that you see on TV or on your thermometer, because the tortoises are not sitting out in those conditions. They are hiding under a bush, or dug down into a burrow.

So, if you want to raise smooth leopard tortoises, take them and move to South Africa. . . and if that's not feasible, follow the guidelines we have here on the Forum for you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Guys the truth is leopard tortoises don't grow up in 80 percent humidity. Most no matter what you do naturally pyramid. I believe the parts in between the scutes don't grow out and is either a coping mechanism but none the less a natural occurrence. I fully agree that babies and juveniles even adults should be soaked because if your tort is a weaker tort from a creep you can nurture it and help it along. In some cases Darwinism wins. In the wild I've seen many dead leopard tortoise babies. They just aren't the fitest of the creep. Now obviously you wouldn't want a dead tortoise in captivity so yes soaking and hydration is good.to strengthen vital organs in development but some torts you'll find won't survive no matter what.

So are you saying that baby leopard tortoises DO NOT hatch out during the monsoon season?

We are saying that BABY leopard tortoises, need to be kept in monsoon-like conditions. After they've reached a year or so, these conditions are not as important.

Fl@sh

That right there is the kind of ignorance that's dangerous, there is no monsoon in South Africa. Please get those facts right . I am not saying raise them in dry conditions geez guys if you keep reading it you'll see what i am saying. If your humidity levels aren't correct or 80 percent it is not detrimental to health nor does it stunt growth . Humidity is obviously a way of getting their shells smooth but it is not mimicking the leopards natural environment Their natural environment has a 20 percent humidity and is around 28- 35 degrees. So if your indoor enclosure is set up like that and your humidity isn't so high..... Brace yourself , you're gonna have a happy tort :). An indoor set up with correct uvb and temps around 28 - 35 with odd mists everyday is fine. Humidity does not have to be 80 percent . I hope i could explain my argument simply enough.

Last edited: