South African Leopard Tortoises - wet or dry???

Fl@sh

Why would you say sunlight isn't good for tort health? It's the best

Fl@sh

Kenan is a good guy with good intentions, but he is not an authority on tortoise care. He's repeating a lot of the old incorrect info, and while his methods might work for him in tropical Florida, they will not work anywhere else in the country under normal captive circumstances.

I would not advise anyone to follow his advice on baby tortoise care. There are gaps, omissions, and some info that I disagree with.
Sir have you seen Kenans torts? They are happy healthy and are raised outdoors when old enough

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is necessary for a happy tort which is most important to us owners
There are several people and several institutions in this country that raise them correctly, but solely indoors.

I don't think you or I are in any position to decide which tortoises are "happier". Either their needs are met or they aren't. You don't have to have sunshine to meet their needs, but I agree with you that it is good to get them in the sun when you can.

My point is that in the wrong conditions, tortoises can still pyramid, dehydrate or die, whether they get lots of sun, or no sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sir have you seen Kenans torts? They are happy healthy and are raised outdoors when old enough
Yes I have. And I've met the man and heard his presentations twice. Also watched his videos. He's not the guy to take advice from on raising baby tortoises.

Fl@sh

Yes I have. And I've met the man and heard his presentations twice. Also watched his videos. He's not the guy to take advice from on raising baby tortoises.
Ok thank you for this. I did not know that. What is the reason?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
So Flash if you knew everything and have those others sources why did you seek advice here?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thank you for this. I did not know that. What is the reason?
See post number 18 on page one for the reasons.

We've debated this subject at length here before and in more detail. I'll bet a forum search would turn up more reading for you, if you are interested in hearing the viewpoints of various member on this site regarding Kenan's methods and their shortcomings.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
how do you delete a profile ?
if i knew i would
Why do that you come here to talk torts . And you did let them also talk torts . But don't get mad cause they feel their way . Relax and learn and most of all enjoy !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes outdoors is the best. How do you control your humidity outdoors?

No. Outdoors is NOT best in many cases, including babies. I've done side by side experiments and they unanimously do decidedly better when kept inside most of each day.

I can't control humidity outside and its a big problem for me when my tortoises get too big to live inside and I have to move them outside full time. I've tried to add humidity to my outdoor night boxes and that helps. I also let my sulcatas burrow during the hotter months, and that helps too.

But to date, the best advice I have for people is to move to somewhere with high humidity, or better yet, move to your chosen species native range.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Guys i live in Africa for goodness sakes i wash my hands of this. Take my advice or not. Be blinded by your own satisfaction for a smoth shell. My tortoise has a smooth shell and has been kept in natural conditions

This is the point I was trying to make. You are in the minority. Most of us DO NOT live in South Africa. So the way we keep our tortoises has to be much different from the way you can keep yours, living as you do in their natural environment.

Fl@sh

This is the point I was trying to make. You are in the minority. Most of us DO NOT live in South Africa. So the way we keep our tortoises has to be much different from the way you can keep yours, living as you do in their natural environment.
yeah my point was to recreate the african climate in your indoor enclosures not the outdoor ones. a controlled environment . However all your torts look healthy so keep it up.

Dave Dela Rosa

5 Year Member
San jose California
Why would you say sunlight isn't good for tort health? It's the best

Bro i know this is an old thread but they will ******* peg you to the cross for trying to raise your tortoise the same way they live in the wild. They keep talking about 3 months of monsoon but isnt that worse than keeping a humidity level at 30% everyday and a couple misting? Theyll have more humidity 365 days a year rather than the monsoon they keep talking about that only happens in 3 months. Yeah they hide in burrows but that doesnt mean its 80% humidity there. I fully support you and they really for some reason dont agree with kenan, when hes been a successful breeder, raise capitivity and one of the main heads of the tortoise movement. I honestly feel like they get so mad when you dont raise them the way they raise theirs. Im new with tortoise keeping but i get so weirded out, they want to raise a tortoise the opposite of their natural environment? How is their environment bad when they have survived millions of years. They want you to keep them indoors and humid like that happens to the babies in aftica. Im happy someone else thinks differently, keep it up.