Something's wrong with my red-footed tortoise, need help!

Margalota23

She can get her beak out of the shell, totally. But she pops her head inside after a while and doesn't get it out without my aid (She gets her head out whenever I push the lower shell part where her tail is). I've also noticed that since the day she started to act oddly she hasn't defecated, and obviously she hasn't eated either.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Do you soak your tortoise? It's important to soak for a good 30 minutes twice a day if your tort isn't eating.

A frightened tortoise will pull their head in to hide and stay that way. If you're forcing her to put it out, you may well be making things worse.

Generally just tipping a tortoise gently so its head end is lower than its tail end will make it put its head and legs out. It's a technique I have used many times.

Margalota23

I feed them mostly with Hibiscus rosa-sinesis (as you can see in the pic of their "enclosure"), sometimes I give them Lettuce too, but I don't do that too often because most of the times they just leave it there (if they had to choose between it and their own feces, they'll eat the feces), and when I don't have access to none of those, I give them cabbage but they don't like it either, maybe because it's too thick for them to bite. I don't have UVB bulbs or lamps, and they haven't got access to the sun recently because since a week or so, we've had cloudy days (but when it's not, I take them to the balcony where there's plenty sunlight).

Margalota23

Yes I soak them, but not everyday. Since she started to act like this I've been soaking them In warm water as some of the guys recommended. The problem is she doesn't get her head out in the water either.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please read the info shown at the Tortoise Library and make any adjustments to your husbandry that's required.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I appologize for my absence. So, I soaked them in warm water as you guys told me to, and after a while and with a lot of effort from her, she got her head out! for a while, before poking it in again. I noticed then that It's like her head doesn't fit through the shell gap. So, I'll post pictures of her, but I need first your guys' answer: Should I post them here? or should I post them on a new one? Thanks again guys!

Please read my post #3. The tortoise needs its beak trimmed.

Please continue to use this thread with your comments and questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's an example of what a redfoot tortoise enclosure should look like:

DSC00167.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you need to change your link @yvinne g - The Tortoise Library website has moved

Is this what you meant?
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

Thank you! I had copied it from Madkins' signature a long time ago because I wanted it to look like "the tortoise library" instead of a link, and I don't know how to make it appear that way. I guess Madkins has changed his signature. I'll have to do more research.

Ok, let me try this one:

Tortoise Library

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup. That one works. That sneaky guy changed his URL.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Your tortoises do not have hides and, more importantly, they're housed together. If this tortoise is being bullied by the other she can 1. eat less or not eat at all due to intimidation from the other tort (so less/no poop) 2. have some sort of injury from the other tort which may have healed, abscessed, or caused some sort of pain and discomfort that makes her not want to extend her neck or 3. she is under a HUGE amount of stress and has no hide to calm herself down and no way to escape the other tort.

Kori5

Their diet is wrong, that and low humidity is what is keeping them from growing. Please give them better food like dandelions, clover, plantain (weed). You can buy raddichio, endive, lambs lettuce in the store. I think redfoots need some protein, too. @Pearly has two of them and has a lovely diet for them. She gives them Mazuri and some yummy mushy food. Why don't you try some Mazuri a few times a week? You need to fix things other members mentioned here or you'll loose your tortoises.

Margalota23

aaaa! Dammit! I'm trying to post another picture but it just keep throwing me an error. Does it usually happens or is it just me? Anyway, I think it's time for a conclusion of what she might have. I don't know if it can happen to a tortoise, but In my opinion, she grew but her shell didn't bc I don't think her beak is a problem, it doesn't look large at all. It's her head, it looks too tight to the shell when she manages to get it ou. What do you guys think? If I do all you have told me to do, I should be able to fix her problem then.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@Margalota23 don't get discouraged by all of this, I know it's probably overwhelming but once you make the proper adjustments it will be a breeze. Less worry about health problems as well. And no more need to keep hoisting the enclosure to the bathroom every day when you want to turn on the AC.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
If they do not get UVB, and their diet isn't sufficient, they can have shell deformities. I've seen torts that have shell deformities and can't fit INTO their shells, but never one that can't get OUT of their shells. We will still need photos, not sure why the photo feature is glitching out for you.

These two are still young. Provide UVB and some calcium to combat any possibility of MBD and supplement healthy bone/shell growth. You can get a cuttlebone for calcium, any pet store that sells birds should have it but I'm not sure about how it is where you live.

Read through the Tortoise Library, give them a proper diet. The problem is getting this one to eat. If you can get her head out you may need to force-feed her, I've never done it but some people on here can advise you.

Because they're still young they can grow to be healthy. It's just a matter of getting them there.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi and welcome from Texas. I keep RF babies as well. The Tortoise Library was my "tort bible" at the beginning. I had some issues as well but sticking with the Library and this Forum has helped me figure things out and I have to say, me and my torts are doing great today! Almost a year later! Most of the problems/mistakes many beginners make can be quickly addressed but we need PICTURES. Focused ones. It takes time to figure out the way forum site works on your device but ask questions, give as much description detail as possible. There are MANY wonderful people here who are willing to help. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462367977.903256.jpg this is part of my enclosure. I also got 2 babies! They get along ok now, but I'm prepared to separate them at any timeImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462368139.729882.jpg it is 40 gal tank with covered top. I have several digital thermometers and hygrometers all throughout the tank. My parameters have been perfect since I put the insulation over the screen top. I have a thread on in the enclosure if you want to look at it more. My babies use their water dish several times a day, drinking or just sitting in it. They NEED access to fresh water at all times. Feeding little babies can be tricky at times. I have a thread on feeding picky eaters too. Again, refer to Tortoise Library for foods to feed it has a great comprehensive list of things they should be eating. Please post close up pictures, and I'd say if the baby torts head is stuck inside and she's uneble to get it out .... for prolonged periods... to me this would be a medical emergency if I couldn't figure it out on my own. Again, please post better focused pictures of her head front and side view and hopefully we can help you sort things out piece by piece

Margalota23

Hey guys! sorry again I've been absent for soo long, it's just that I began College last week so I've been really busy. So, a lot has happened to my tort since I last posted here. I got her to eat! Yeah, I haven't seen her doing it for herself, so I need to gave it to her so she eats. No forcing, of course. And I think I now know what she has. Probably it's a respiratory infection or somethin. I woke up early this morning because I was free of classes today and I saw her with A LOT of mucosity on her head (so much she also had on her legs). I see her sometimes breathing through her mouth as well, so I'm at least 99% sure that's what she has. It's a shame, but at least I know what she has now. But, is that an explanation as to why she isn't able to get her head out? I'm still concerned about that problem too...So guys, I have to come to you guys again for help and I hope your gladly willing to oblige as you've been so far. Thanks again!

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
If one is sick they need to be separated. She needs to be kept warmer to help her immune system along. She will likely need antibiotics if it is an RI.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hibiscus flowers have little nutrition. Without temps at least 80 they can not digest any food and without UV, UVB they will develop or already have developed issues that may be fatal and not reversable.
Your substrate. Your lighting. Your general housing. Humidity and heat and feedings are not adequate.
Almost everything needs work here.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
In those several days of absence fro the forum what have you done to help your sick pet?

1) Have you checked out the Tortoise Library site? It covers most topics related to keeping RF tort

2) have you obtained lighting/heating? What are your temps in the enclosure? What's the humidity?

3) how do you measure temperature and humidity of the enclosure?

4) have you put them (tort babies) on good substrate?

5) do they now have places to hide?

6) have you started feeding them good diverse diet? They need VARIETY of foods. They are omnivores

7) have you provided them with cuttlebone in their enclosure?

8) do they have access to clean water 24/7?

9) do you soak them and how often?

10) have you by any chance been able to take the tort to the vet? Maybe start antibiotic?

If you address every question I'm asking here and post pictures of all the items being addressed I.e. question: how do you measure temps/humidity- please post your answer plus the pictures of the devices you use, plus the picture of where those devices are located in the enclosure.
This will give us pretty accurate view of your husbandry and if anything needs to be corrected we'll be able to address one thing at the time as to keep things clear and simple for you.