Something's wrong with my red-footed tortoise, need help!

Margalota23

Hello guys, I'm new in this forum, I found it for the worst reason possible, my red-footed tortoise is in danger, I think she may pass away in the next days, and I really don't want her to, I don't...She's irreplaceable. Margarita (her name) has been with me for almost 2 years now, she's still little, she hasn't got a noticable growth. I've tried ever since I found her to gave her the most proper care I could with the limitations living in venezuela has...She's been alright so far until the night of yesterday, when I went to check her and her "sister" (I have another red-footed tortoise, probably of the same age and who has a perfect health as of today) and I found her walking around in circles but with her head inside the shell. I picked her up the check what was wrong, she didn't get her head out of the shell at any moment, and she looked like she was trying to scratch the deep part of her left leg with her head. I then thought that she needed water (I haven't given them a bath like in a month or so...they don't have access to water in the habitat I built to them), so I put her under the tap face up (just in case she had something in her shell, annoying her), and then she started to breathe through her mouth (or so it seemed). Then I thought she was drowning or something (possibly having trouble to breathe), so I started to squash her with my fingers gently, but still strong enough to push some mucosity out of her nostrils. I cleaned it, but there was then anything I could do, so I just left her there in her habitat. I went to check her again this morning, and nothing, she was there, with her head inside, walking around in circles (counter-clockwise, to her left). I'm here to ask for help, as I mentioned before I don't want to lose her, she's like my daughter and I don't think I'm going to be able to take her to a veterinary, it's really expensive and the wage here is a joke, so I believe I won't be able to afford it. I just want to know wheter if it's nothing (which I don't believe, considering the fact that she doesn't even gets her head out to eat) or if I should be very concerned and preparing myself for her demise. PLEASE GUYS, HELP!

P.S.: I appologize in advance if I have any grammar mistakes, as you might understand, English it's not my native language, so I hope I was clear enough for you to understand what's the problem and provide me help, thanks again.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Do you have heat in the enclosure? UVB access? What do you feed them? Are they in a pair and is there enough room for two. Please add water to their habitat and start soaking daily for 15-30 minutes in warm water daily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen something similar to this with a leopard tortoise. The tortoise's beak had grown long and when he brought his head deeply inside the shell the beak got stuck in there and he couldn't get his head out.

See if you can gently tip the head to the side a little and bring it out of the shell.

Can we see a picture of the tortoise and his head?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please post pics, give them water every day, soak them in warm water every day. What are their temps, humidity level, was are you feeding. How are you housing them. Pics of both will help us and also pics of their home

Kori5

Why don't they have water in their enclosure? That is a really disturbing thing to read, I'm sorry I have to say that. Please give her and the other tortoise a plant saucer with water and soak the other tortoise for half an hour in warmish water. I have no other advice but I hope your tortoise gets better.

Hector108

Soak them daily for about 30 minutes like Kori5 said. Post some pics so we can see what you are dealing with.

Margalota23

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I appologize for my absence. So, I soaked them in warm water as you guys told me to, and after a while and with a lot of effort from her, she got her head out! for a while, before poking it in again. I noticed then that It's like her head doesn't fit through the shell gap. So, I'll post pictures of her, but I need first your guys' answer: Should I post them here? or should I post them on a new one? Thanks again guys!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just take close up pictures of her face, then entire body, then the area they live in. Post those pics right here in this thread asap

Margalota23

I know the quality is... well, crap but it's the best I close-up I could get. I'll try to post more of her and her enclosure, is just that I have to post one-by-one because my IC is not the best and this site has every milestone you can possibly imagine, if it doesn't throw an error while uploading the picture, it throws an error saying that I have to be logged to post, after having already signed in and during my attempt to post...

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
It could be several things...

They will need some substrate in the enclosure, and they should be separated. What COULD have happened is one tort bit the other and she has an injury. It could be painful for her to stick her head out.

You MUST give them water. I clean out mine's water dish every day and fill it with clean water. I never leave him without water. Dehydration often causes illness in torts, especially "wet" species like RFs.

If she has mucus coming from her nose it could be a respiratory infection.

What is the temperature and humidity?

Margalota23

That's totally possible, Jockma...But that would mean that her head (or neck, who knows) is swollen, but I can't notice any change in her, she just looks like if the shell's gap is too narrow for her to be able to pop her head out. Temperature I can't tell how is it, however the humidity level may be high, I move their house to the bathroom at night when I'm going to sleep because there's no other place I can put them in (I live in a condo) bc I recently installed a A/C in my room, and I think that wouldn't be appropiate for them. Also, guys, any chance you can post pictures of your torts' enclosures?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I think I see the problem but it's too blurry to know for sure, try taking a picture further away and see if it focuses. Once you get a clear shot we can just zoom in on the picture.

It looks like what @Yvonne G mentioned, her beak looks like it may be overgrown and keeping her head stuck in her shell.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Do they get ANY UVB at all? Natural sunlight or bulb lighting? Metabolic bone disease can cause shell deformities and mobility problems, but I've never seen a case where the head is stuck inside.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
They look small for their size and their enclosure is not very suitable, I'm sorry to say. They need a certain temperature and humidity, so please start measuring that and provide heat if neccessary. They need water! They need a substrate such a humid coco coir and/or spaghnum moss. They need UVB. They need space to walk in. They don't need a friend. What's their diet? They need greens with a bit of fruit and animal protein. Any of these factors could contribute to the problem you see now...

Please read the Tortoise Library website, it gives a lot of info on care for these torts.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of this news, but they are strong animals and if you improve their living conditions they can live with you for decades still. Good luck!

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Here's a compressed list of things to do:

1. Build a new enclosure and separate the torts.

2. In both enclosures you should have substrate, like coco coir. Moist, not wet, keep the top relatively dry. Put a hide in both so they can de-stress.

3. Get a way to measure temperature and humidity. This is VERY important!

4. Keep a water dish in both enclosures at ALL times.

5. Try and get a clearer photo so we can help you with your tort! If it is caused by an overgrown beak, do what was previously suggested (try to wiggle her head and dislodge it from her shell) and then take a nail filer and gently file the beak.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
If you're concerned about the AC, you can have a CLOSED TOP enclosure that will keep the humidity and heat constant. That way you don't need to worry about the effects the AC will have on them.