I just found my red footed tortoise who'd been missing for 3 months

thefrostygirl

5 Year Member
I had taken my red footed tortoise out during the summer and she'd gotten lost. I looked everywhere for days, I left her favorite food out on the patio, I even set up a heat lamp at night, in case she found her way back. Nothing. Then today my husband comes home and walks in the door with her. She was on the patio. She looks ok, nothing visibly wrong. I put her in her tank and gave her some food, she ate it like normal. Then I put her in a bath to soak, she guzzled the water and when I took her out she spit it up and threw up. I'm wondering if that's just because she drank too much or if it might be something more serious. I plan on taking her to the vet if I can find one around me. Any suggestions on things I should look for would be much appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Woohoo, congrats. Glad she found her way home. I would hold off on the vet if it were me. Sounds like she may have just eaten and drank too much in a short period of time. I would give her a could days and see if things stay normal, like before she left and if she eats and drinks without spitting it up.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome! That's great news! If you have the cash I would take her to the vet. She was in the wild for three weeks eating God knows what. I would think a poo sample would be good to check her for parasites.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's interesting because when my red foot escaped a few weeks past, he also was found very close to the escape spot like he was trying to come back home. It's possible that in those 3 months, she never went very far away. I can look right at a red foot and not see it in the grass and dirt. It's crazy how well they blend in. Congratulations.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Awesome! That's great news! If you have the cash I would take her to the vet. She was in the wild for three weeks eating God knows what. I would think a poo sample would be good to check her for parasites.
Three MONTHS. ;)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
YAY!!! I think she just drank too much, too quickly. But do take her to the vet for a thorough checkup. So glad she returned.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
WOW...your so lucky on your husband finding your redfoot!! I agree with mike about the parasites however. I think you should at least get a stool sample because I'm sure your tortoise ate some pretty nasty things out in the wild o_O He might just have an upset tummy.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yay on finding her/her deciding to show up!
Sounds to me like s he just ate/drank too fast, who knows how much she'd been eating out there (but that's a fair bet that it was decent amounts) but she was probably away from water for a while which would explain the gulping down water fast and then the spit up. I wouldn't worry too much and give her a chance to adjust again and get all she needs, if it continues i'd be worried but if it was the one time I'd chalk it up too being a piggy. I agree with vet trip being a good idea, but with giving it some time, vet trips are (usually) stressful with travel and poking/examining, she's probably stressed enough from whatever life may have been outside so don't want to add more on until she gets to relax some, that's an opinion though its all up to you to judge what she can/should handle :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Just picking a tortoise up suddenly can cause them to loose water from their stomach. Think of a fast elevator ride . . . . see what I mean. The water goes to the stomach, then it is slowly metered into the intestines. A sudden elevator ride while that stomach is full of water could literally force the water out of the stomach.

I'm glad your tortoise was found.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, I would hold off on the vets...no reason. A tortoise in the "wild" would eat a lot of fun wild things....I bet the tort was in tortoise heaven being out in the big world (likely your yard somewhere)....happy to hear the tort is good.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Congrats on finding your RF! That must have been like Christmas times 10 lol!!
Now I don't know where your from but as long as the weather didn't get cold/freezing/damp then you should be good:)
I would just keep a close eye on him. Make sure he's got clear eyes, clear nose, clear lungs etc. Soak him daily and keep him warm. I'm glad you got your tortoise back:)