some turtles that live here

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
I think that many of us became hooked on turtles after first being fishermen. Or fisherwomen.
As a kid I was always prowling around the canals near my home with my fishing rod and inevitably, I discovered turtles.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i sure enjoy having them too .....

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
rivers are comprised of riffles , holes , and runs . riffles are shallow rocky spots where the water flows pretty quickly . runs are long stretches between riffles and holes , they're of consistent depth with a fairly substantial consistent current . holes are the deep spots dug out by the current where the water flow is the least , obstructions and debris accumulate in these spots . it's where turtles live in a river and where they hibernate ..... they hibernate in and around obstructions and debris that's accumulated in and around the holes ... in my small pond all i have is what amounts to 3 riffles and 3 holes , the holes have plenty of rock and wood overhangs , in the fall i leave a lot of the leaves that fall in the pond to accumulate on the bottom and they hibernate in the leaves under an overhang .

Your wisdom is much appreciated...love your habitat and glorious turtles!! Quite stunning...

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
DSCF3037.jpg

DSCF3061.jpg

DSCF3062.jpg

DSCF3034.jpg

DSCF3019.jpg

DSCF3001.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

DSCF3024.jpg

DSCF3032.jpg

DSCF3039.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I got this guy the end of last july from florida ..... he ate good through august and till the the third week of September , which is early to stop for any wood turtles I've raised here .... I did remember one I had gotten from florida previously and I remember her stop eating early in the fall ..... the winter was mild , he was pretty active all winter as were all the rest ....... they all had started eating by april , except him , he kept getting weaker , no sign of an RI , his tounge was pretty off colored/dark .... beginning of may his direction seemed obvious ,I took him to the vet , 7 months without eating , he was so weak pulling him out his shell was simple ....... a B complex shot , ADE shot , 5 fortaz shots over a couple weeks , and I kept him real warm all the time .... after the 4th fortaz shot I was resigned to the fact I was going to lose him , I was hesitant to give him the last shot thinking it would kill him , about 2-3 days after the last shot he ate a couple fish pellets , and went uphill from there .... it's been 2 weeks , he acts normal and will eat anything I put in front of him , he seems to have completely recovered after not eating for 8 months , most of those months were hibernating months , which obviously helped ..... i'm also glad I did quarantine him even though he looked healthy when I got him ..........

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

some others

DSCF3114.jpg

DSCF3155.jpg

DSCF3145.jpg

run in with a dog a couple years ago

DSCF3160.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I got this guy the end of last july from florida ..... he ate good through august and till the the third week of September , which is early to stop for any wood turtles I've raised here .... I did remember one I had gotten from florida previously and I remember her stop eating early in the fall ..... the winter was mild , he was pretty active all winter as were all the rest ....... they all had started eating by april , except him , he kept getting weaker , no sign of an RI , his tounge was pretty off colored/dark .... beginning of may his direction seemed obvious ,I took him to the vet , 7 months without eating , he was so weak pulling him out his shell was simple ....... a B complex shot , ADE shot , 5 fortaz shots over a couple weeks , and I kept him real warm all the time .... after the 4th fortaz shot I was resigned to the fact I was going to lose him , I was hesitant to give him the last shot thinking it would kill him , about 2-3 days after the last shot he ate a couple fish pellets , and went uphill from there .... it's been 2 weeks , he acts normal and will eat anything I put in front of him , he seems to have completely recovered after not eating for 8 months , most of those months were hibernating months , which obviously helped ..... i'm also glad I did quarantine him even though he looked healthy when I got him ..........

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

some others

DSCF3114.jpg

DSCF3155.jpg

DSCF3145.jpg

run in with a dog a couple years ago

DSCF3160.jpg
Wow! Time and time again I'm being reminded of how tough those animals are and how important it is to be PATIENT with them. The "tortoise and a hare" story all over again! Love all of your pictures!!!

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Question do your turtles eat the water hyacinth plants. I know my fish will eat the roots. I was wondering if they would be good for my sulcata also? I also have a koi pond and the water hyacinth proliferate prodigiously.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Question do your turtles eat the water hyacinth plants. I know my fish will eat the roots. I was wondering if they would be good for my sulcata also? I also have a koi pond and the water hyacinth proliferate prodigiously.
the blanding's do eat some water hyacinth , not enough , that stuff does overrun the ponds , they seem to eat more duckweed and anacharis than water hyacinth ...... the wood turtles , I've never noticed them eat plants , they may , they'll eat fruit ...........

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Wow! Time and time again I'm being reminded of how tough those animals are and how important it is to be PATIENT with them. The "tortoise and a hare" story all over again! Love all of your pictures!!!
when he ate , it was quite a relief ....folks probably know what condition he was in when i say pull him out of shell easily , hold his head out and open his mouth without a struggle ....... you could not do that now , he's begging for food ....... I've fed him everyday since , i'm pretty confident he's better ..... my vet is an excellent guesser , he's saved a few I was beyond surprised , i'm pretty happy this guy was one ........
DSCF3212%202.jpg

DSCF3211%202.jpg

DSCF3179%202.jpg

DSCF3188%202.jpg

DSCF3183%202.jpg

DSCF3208%202.jpg

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Did you ever end up finding out exactly what was wrong?

when he ate , it was quite a relief ....folks probably know what condition he was in when i say pull him out of shell easily , hold his head out and open his mouth without a struggle ....... you could not do that now , he's begging for food ....... I've fed him everyday since , i'm pretty confident he's better ..... my vet is an excellent guesser , he's saved a few I was beyond surprised , i'm pretty happy this guy was one ........
DSCF3212%202.jpg

DSCF3211%202.jpg

DSCF3179%202.jpg

DSCF3188%202.jpg

DSCF3183%202.jpg

DSCF3208%202.jpg