some turtles that live here

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
Did you ever end up finding out exactly what was wrong?

no , just guesses .....my thought is if it was viral , he would have just needed to survive it on his own with as much support as I could get him ..... from what I've seen with the reptiles I've had , bacterial infections are by far the most common cause of the sick ones , if not the primary cause , usually a secondary problem .....organ failure , as far as I know you can only support , and hope for the best , unless he recovered on his own he would have been done anyway , which is what I was thinking might have been happening at that point , and why I was worried about that last shot .... I had a feeling last fall and winter he didn't act quite right , after not eating for 7 months I do think the vitamin a d e , and b complex addressed part of the problem and helped him recover ......... aside from obvious surgeries , It seems to me extensive intervention on these guys almost never ends well ...... i'm of the opinion less is more , at least as little as possible ..........

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I got this guy the end of last july from florida ..... he ate good through august and till the the third week of September , which is early to stop for any wood turtles I've raised here .... I did remember one I had gotten from florida previously and I remember her stop eating early in the fall ..... the winter was mild , he was pretty active all winter as were all the rest ....... they all had started eating by april , except him , he kept getting weaker , no sign of an RI , his tounge was pretty off colored/dark .... beginning of may his direction seemed obvious ,I took him to the vet , 7 months without eating , he was so weak pulling him out his shell was simple ....... a B complex shot , ADE shot , 5 fortaz shots over a couple weeks , and I kept him real warm all the time .... after the 4th fortaz shot I was resigned to the fact I was going to lose him , I was hesitant to give him the last shot thinking it would kill him , about 2-3 days after the last shot he ate a couple fish pellets , and went uphill from there .... it's been 2 weeks , he acts normal and will eat anything I put in front of him , he seems to have completely recovered after not eating for 8 months , most of those months were hibernating months , which obviously helped ..... i'm also glad I did quarantine him even though he looked healthy when I got him ..........

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

some others

DSCF3114.jpg

DSCF3155.jpg

DSCF3145.jpg

run in with a dog a couple years ago

DSCF3160.jpg
:eek: WOW!!!!!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Those are some great looking turtles and absolutely love the ponds!!
they're a lot of work ,the amount of work kind of crept up a little at a time , i get a good break in the winter ....... except with the manni ....i give folks keeping exotic turtles and tortoises a lot of credit as to the amount of work they have to do ... thank you

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Love the yellow insculpta. Any idea on an original locale for them?
Anthony , that's just the sunlight and the camera , all of mine are red ........ i've never seen a yellow one in person , seen some wild ones in pa , and michigan they were always red ..... Anthony , i believe you raise blanding's ? at what size do you think your sure of the sex ?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Anthony , that's just the sunlight and the camera , all of mine are red ........ i've never seen a yellow one in person , seen some wild ones in pa , and michigan they were always red ..... Anthony , i believe you raise blanding's ? at what size do you think your sure of the sex ?
Very cool :)

I actually don't have the blandingii anymore (relatively new development, unfortunately) I was really unlucky with them over the 5 years that I kept them. I had a sickness that took some out early on and I was able to save many with antibiotics, but not all. Over the years after that, I lost three more to sporadic drowning in different enclosures that I tried to modify to avoid drowning accidents. The last drowning occurred in my outdoor pond.

I always thought blandingii would be a perfect species for CT, since we are so close to their native range, but I just did not have luck with them. On top of that, it was also my experience that it takes many years for them to reach maturity, and sex determination can be very tough to discern. I wonder if Chris has any thoughts on this. I have never seen any literature that says when gender in blandingii becomes visually discernable, and I read every darn journal I could ever get my hands on.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I thought the hatchlings seemed pretty delicate , I had trouble with a couple ......... they're all in the 5" range now , and they all look identical to me , in between a male and female ....... I know they are temp sexed , but they are 3 different hatches ,although two were most likely incubated together .............. who would think a turtle could drown ? for as aquatic as they are , they are pretty weak swimmers ..... drowning is something I always worried about with the wood turtles when I see one holding another down ...... well thank you for the reply .......... I really don't need any more turtles , but I do hope for both sexes of the blanding's ......... I vaguely remember something about the color of the upper lip ?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
been about 2 months , he still looks and eats good , he is a beautiful big wood turtle , very intelligent , lots of character ,I was sick over the thought of losing him ...... he was so ill it's gonna take awhile for me to gain confidence in that this is behind him with no adverse effects ....... hopefully he looks good enough and acts properly come next winter and I can leave him outside , confinement stresses them out ......