some turtles that live here

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
maybe some would like to see some of my turtles .

100_2353_1.jpg
DSCF2264.jpg
DSCF2209.jpg
DSCF2183_1.jpg
868543ae-f11d-4753-ab63-9a31bb35f674.jpg
DSCF2132.jpg

DSCF2214.jpg

DSCF2244.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

DSCF2005.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice, Mark. The wood turtles look so much like the Actinemys marmorata. All your turtles are beautiful. Are your ponds in the ground or containers?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
thank you all for the kind words . Yvonne the ponds are all in the ground , it's where they hibernate . NA Woods are from what i understand from folks who have both are very similiar to the western pond turtles . they are probably my favorite turtle ......... wellington i'll get some pics of the ponds .....

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the wood turtles prefer moving, well oxygenated, non-freezing water to hibernate , there are 3 holes in this pond and 4 wood turtles hibernate in here without any issues . 2 seem to do ok in the top or bottom hole
DSCF2266.jpg

DSCF2268.jpg

i added another spot to hibernate , it was for an antisocial male , and the new pond should allow me to put a female with him ..... it's got better sloping sides so the male doesn't drown anybody

DSCF2278.jpg

DSCF2270.jpg

and the blandings prefer backwater to hibernate

DSCF2276.jpg

DSCF2279.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a beautiful enclosure and lovely looking Turtles. Thank you very much for sharing with us. I enjoyed very much.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Nothing like happy wood turtles. They are surely one of North America's most unique chelonians.
We assume that your group reproduces?
they are very happy, and probably my favorite ever ...... they do not reproduce , the 4 in the pic are all girls , three of which i raised, they have just past 6.5" over the last two summers , the bigger of the 3 is near 7" right now , the 4th female i bought as an adult from florida , she did lay 4 eggs when i first got her . i do have an adult male , he's kept separately , he's to big and to aggressive to put with the girls ...... breeding them at this point is not something i'm looking to do , maybe down the road if i see a purpose , until then i just enjoy watching them .....

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
they are very happy, and probably my favorite ever ...... they do not reproduce , the 4 in the pic are all girls , three of which i raised, they have just past 6.5" over the last two summers , the bigger of the 3 is near 7" right now , the 4th female i bought as an adult from florida , she did lay 4 eggs when i first got her . i do have an adult male , he's kept separately , he's to big and to aggressive to put with the girls ...... breeding them at this point is not something i'm looking to do , maybe down the road if i see a purpose , until then i just enjoy watching them .....

Totally understand.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Not that I can contribute to this thread, I know nothing about turtles, but did want to comment on how much I enjoyed your pictures of those beautiful animals and your ponds!!! How I wish I could have some water features like that in my backyard to go to... Ahhh!!!
Love all of yours!

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Stunning, mark what do you mean by " holes" to hibernate ? ...love to see torts kept as they should be.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
rivers are comprised of riffles , holes , and runs . riffles are shallow rocky spots where the water flows pretty quickly . runs are long stretches between riffles and holes , they're of consistent depth with a fairly substantial consistent current . holes are the deep spots dug out by the current where the water flow is the least , obstructions and debris accumulate in these spots . it's where turtles live in a river and where they hibernate ..... they hibernate in and around obstructions and debris that's accumulated in and around the holes ... in my small pond all i have is what amounts to 3 riffles and 3 holes , the holes have plenty of rock and wood overhangs , in the fall i leave a lot of the leaves that fall in the pond to accumulate on the bottom and they hibernate in the leaves under an overhang .

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Never heard those river terms ,maybe regional legacy..living near the ocean we have Jettys,tides,swells ,white caps,under currants,choppy,rip tides.........respectfully,I thought holes might be crevices among the rock piles...soon we will have an in depth discussion on brumation ,there are some points,that I can't seem to make the pieces fit...thank you very much mark 1

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Never heard those river terms ,maybe regional legacy..living near the ocean we have Jettys,tides,swells ,white caps,under currants,choppy,rip tides.........respectfully,I thought holes might be crevices among the rock piles...soon we will have an in depth discussion on brumation ,there are some points,that I can't seem to make the pieces fit...thank you very much mark 1
i've always been a river fisherman , this is a short walk from my house .....the tributaries to these great lakes provide some of the best fishing and scenery in the united states ........ and it's why i have turtles today .........

Picture41448.jpg

Picture41446.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Marinated mamma

South east uk
i've always been a river fisherman , this is a short walk from my house .....the tributaries to these great lakes provide some of the best fishing and scenery in the united states ........ and it's why i have turtles today .........

Picture41448.jpg

Picture41446.jpg

Picture101.jpg
How lucky you are to live somewhere so amazing and beautiful and you have some beautiful turtles