razorback musk turtle tank

batmna003

Here is my turtles tank what do you think? Its a 29gal, just waiting a couple weeks to add some live plants. Any advice is appreciated.
Laura

Attachments

• 20150220_090900.jpg
    20150220_090900.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I wish I could help .I don't know anything about musk turtles but here is a bump.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm sorry that I can't help also. I'm also interest in musk turtles. Especially the Log head Musk turtles. I love to see where I can order 3 of them??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks good, I do have some advice for th next upgrade. They are not strong swimmers, they prefer more shallow waters, a tank with more surface area, and less depth would be ideal, but nothing really wrong with this one.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, I love your basking platform. Does he have UVB?
I agree, musk's like to 'climb' their way to the surface, too, so maybe a couple fake logs would help him.
Your tank is pretty deep, but it's great. Plants would be awesome, just do some looking about, because that's a tricky subject :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Looks good, I do have some advice for th next upgrade. They are not strong swimmers, they prefer more shallow waters, a tank with more surface area, and less depth would be ideal, but nothing really wrong with this one.
I thought Razorback Musks were actually pretty good swimmers...?

batmna003

Next weekend i will be getting some live plants, and a uv light, and possibly some drift wood for climbing on. Thank you for all the advice. From my research razorback musk turtle are supposed to be good swimmers, common musk turtle not so much. He love his tank ans i see him swim all over.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've never kept musk turtles, but I think they have the cutest faces!:)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Man I never understand you... You never use the Latin names.. But for musk turtles this enclosure need some more supplies.. Make some more plants into the enclosure and some more rocks musk turtles aren't the best swimmers so they need things which they help to climb up and to swim also this things help to protect themselves.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Oh somebody wrote that yet... Sorry

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
How's your musk-y doing?
As others have said, adding live plants and driftwood etc will help make his tank more fun for him and for you. Razorbacks are better swimmers than common musks, but they still like to climb to the surface most of the time over swimming to the surface, though some razorbacks will almost exclusively swim instead of climb. Also, while a 29 gal is the minimum requirement, I would suggest getting him into at least a 40 gal, that way he has more space to explore and you have more space to put the driftwood plants etc in so the tank doesn't become overcrowded by all the decorations, needed or otherwise.