Soaking tortoise stress them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
south Florida
I am wondering when I soak my tortoise i stress them ? cause I need to pick them up , and they keep running try to get out the container , plus in the morning while they still sleeping when I pick them up to soak.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It's jus waking them up. It's not cold water is it? As long as they're active and eating well mine all are typical like this after the soak. Even the big monsters.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
tortadise said:
It's jus waking them up. It's not cold water is it? As long as they're active and eating well mine all are typical like this after the soak. Even the big monsters.

warm water ,the thing is i put them back they eat then they go to hide for long time. probably it is new home and i keep changing they hide box these couple day for better spot , now it is all set ,hope they will get use to it soon.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I would say most of the time they definitely don't enjoy it, but regardless its a necessary step to raising a healthy tort. It's like making a kid go to bed or eat their vegetables, they may not like it but its good for them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree it is a must. If you have a see thru container that you are using for the soaks, switch it out for one they can't see thru, might help.

sportychick

5 Year Member
:D
wellington said:
I agree it is a must. If you have a see thru container that you are using for the soaks, switch it out for one they can't see thru, might help.

Doesn't help :) I use a solid blue and still tries to climb out after 15-20 minutes

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Its a must if you want your tortoise to strive :)
Most tortoises just need time to adjust and really know whats going on, after a while they love to relax in it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just keep being patient. Stars stress super easy and are shy. Keep the enclosure the same as long as possible they will settle in. I got a couple more 5" ones few months ago they are just now leaving they're heads out. Just takes time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does it stress them? Yes.
Should we stop doing it? No.

Think of the amount of stress a wild tortoise would encounter every single day. Predators, obstacles, starvation, parasites, dehydration, hostile competitors for territory and food, sex-crazed males who encounter a female, etc... 20-30 minutes in the water pan to keep them healthy and hydrated is a very small amount of stress for them to deal with in their safe, uneventful day in our captive enclosures. Plus, they all get used to it over time...

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Thanks for the info guys , one more questing Is I separate males and females , when I soak them I got big huge blue container so I soak them together , do I need to soak them separately or together is fine ?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Always soak daily. And longer periods, your tort will get use to it and just vegg the whole bath. Water could be to cold? Thicker carapaced torts enjoy baby bottle temp baths

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It does indeed stress them, but I am not a member of the 'force a soak every day' camp. I would suggest that if your diet, humidity, etc. are good, and your tortoise is a healthy weight and shows signs of being well-hydrated, that daily soaking is not needed (except, perhaps, for babies.)

Of course, the problem is that it is pretty hard to keep them hydrated in our typical cool, low-humidity houses and the 'easy bake oven' habitats we usually use.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm in agreement with Mark. I have never soaked my tortoises. They always had a nice size water dish that they could get in and out of or just take a drink. They only babies that I put in a bit of water are the box turtle hatchlings, when I start feeding them. If your enclosure is set up right, they are eating good, what is the point of soaking them? Why can't they just go in the water when they want to? Anyway....just me...everyone does things differently.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
xXtortoiseloverXx said:
Thanks for the info guys , one more questing Is I separate males and females , when I soak them I got big huge blue container so I soak them together , do I need to soak them separately or together is fine ?

The thing with stars. If your male is already acting aggressive at that age it's going to drive him or both makes crazy and thats all they want to do when they get close to the females. I would soak them seperately and in about 5 more years when the females are ready to breed you can introduce them. I've had a horn dog male sri lanken do this. He stresses himself out when he sees the female.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The CDTs here get forced soaks the moment they come out of brumation and they stay in their soaker until they drink...period. Then if I am out and about and see one not looking juicy as I like...they will get a random soak....not all but any one individual and or I will offer some high water content romaine...red leaf lettuce etc....but usually by week two going into week three out of brumation they are all juicy and have passed their stored urates from brumation and are clear peeing...at which point I do not soak...but they have large shallow soaking dishes in each of their yards...

The 6" RFs go on into their diapers on their own now...so I don't do force soaking (although I did when they first arrived due to their condition)....

The two baby RFs get 20 minute soaks in their individual shakers while I am getting their food ready...and I will continue daily soaks until they show interest in self soaking later down the road....:D

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe my tortoise is just weird, but she really seems to dig her soaks. In fact, I cut it short today and when I returned her to her enclosure...she went into her water dish!

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
tortadise said:
The thing with stars. If your male is already acting aggressive at that age it's going to drive him or both makes crazy and thats all they want to do when they get close to the females. I would soak them seperately and in about 5 more years when the females are ready to breed you can introduce them. I've had a horn dog male sri lanken do this. He stresses himself out when he sees the female.

I c , I will try to soak them separate , and soak them daily like 30mins is ok for star tortoise ? And how old for the female to start breed ? Thanks

One good benefit from soaking is they pee and poop in the water so keep my indoor enclosure clean .

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I don't find force soaking beneficial at all.........These animals know what water is, and how to utilize it........It shouldn't be a short cut for improper husbandry either.......

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You are right about them needing to hydrate after hibernation Angela. The first thing all of my box turtles did after 5 months of sleeping was to sit for long periods of time in the pond. I found four of them sitting in the water dish too.

Status
Not open for further replies.