Sick Redfoot??!!

ashleighmaylouise

Greens, half a boiled egg, mango? He didn't eat that today? Put over the past week he has, and it can't be a plastic bag or anything because there isn't one near him or even in the viv, I'm so worried about him

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Does he act sick or different in anyway? How big is he? I hope he gets well soon!

ashleighmaylouise

I feed him in the morning and by the time I get home about 1-2ish he's normally ate, but today he hasn't, he's barely eaten anything and hardly came out of him plant pot, I only noticed it because I just gave him a soak in warm water and he's 10cm

ashleighmaylouise

I've only had him for nearly 2 weeks now and they told me to use the infrared bulb but I have been waiting to get paid to go and buy a CHE now

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Do you mean the pink stuff? Can you take a better closeup pic? The closer the better. We can probably figure it out

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can you answer a couple of questions please?

Do you have a red light bulb?

Please analyse that mess for what's in it. We can see substrate. What else is in there? Can you identify the red?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've only had him for nearly 2 weeks now and they told me to use the infrared bulb but I have been waiting to get paid to go and buy a CHE now
The infrared bulb is almost certainly the cause of the problem.

It colours things red and torts love red things to eat. They also lack common sense and will try to eat anything red. The bulb needs to be switched off asap.

Use an ordinary household bulb for basking and manage without extra heat at night.

You need to soak your tort lots in a deep non see through bowl of warm water. Keep it in there for well over half an hour. Hopefully it will start trying to climb out and that encourages pooping.

It needs plenty of warmth to be active and digest what's in its stomach. But not from that red bulb

@Yvonne G would you recommend keeping this tort on newspaper for a while?

ashleighmaylouise

However last week I did feed him a pinkie? Could that be the problem? Should I stop feeding them to him and stick to boiled eggs for protein?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I would still like to take a closer look at the contents of that... "specimen", can you do some better close-up pics? It could be that pinky, only why would it not be better digested if it cam out through cloaca?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm going shopping tomorrow and I'll definitely buy a CHE tomorrow, what wattage should I buy? I have a 4ft viv
You must get both a ceramic lamp holder (CHEs have a high surface temperature) and a thermostat for it. You can then safely use a 100W CHE knowing that it can throw out all the heat you need, but not cook your tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would still like to take a closer look at the contents of that... "specimen", can you do some better close-up pics? It could be that pinky, only why would it not be better digested if it cam out through cloaca?
If it's been dragged through the gut with the substrate it's possible it hasn't been digested properly