HELP (runny nose)

Alaric

*UPDATE* as Yvonne said , I've now separated them . I have not add plants etc into the enclosure , its kinda late here now will do it tomorrow !!
It's really not about what YOU want. It's what is best for the tortoises.
12179447_10153681987712179_1733297732_n.jpg

Will see how it goes and keep an update !
hope Papa Star will get well soon .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Okay an update , I went out to buy a medicine for him from this tortoise expert pet store . It contains Paracetamol , Sodium Benzoate and Ethanol . I have not fed it yet to my tortoise as i'm wary of the ingredients . Advice?

Why on earth would you administer medicine to a tortoise that simply has a runny jose but no other signs of illness..why would you not first correct the couple of issues pointed out first...namely the mixed species and on top of that, you have picked two species that will do poor together..one or both will suffer medically...

Just going to the store and buying some random medicine and forcing the tort to take it so you will somehow feel better will likely bring no good to either tort...

Are you aware of the large size of Sulcata? Are you aware of their general temperment? What are you planningfor housing for this tortoise when it exceeds 100 pounds?

Alaric

Why on earth would you administer medicine to a tortoise that simply has a runny jose but no other signs of illness..why would you not first correct the couple of issues pointed out first...namely the mixed species and on top of that, you have picked two species that will do poor together..one or both will suffer medically...

Just going to the store and buying some random medicine and forcing the tort to take it so you will somehow feel better will likely bring no good to either tort...

Are you aware of the large size of Sulcata? Are you aware of their general temperment? What are you planningfor housing for this tortoise when it exceeds 100 pounds?

First of all , Theres a reason why i posted this here in the first place . To ask for advice . I have no fed my tortoise any form of medicine . I was in a panic thus going to the vet to get a medicine was a viable option rather than sitting at home posting around the net and doing nothing about it . I DID NOT force feed my tortoise in any way . Why make such an assumption ?

Secondly , I am aware of the large size of a sulcata if not i would not have gotten it . I live in a 10,000 square feet house with ample space for my tortoises .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to keep the tortoise with the runny nose a bit warmer than normal. Now that the sulcata has been removed from his territory, he may settle down and the nose may clear up. let's wait and see, but warm him up to about 85F to help him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
First of all , Theres a reason why i posted this here in the first place . To ask for advice . I have no fed my tortoise any form of medicine . I was in a panic thus going to the vet to get a medicine was a viable option rather than sitting at home posting around the net and doing nothing about it . I DID NOT force feed my tortoise in any way . Why make such an assumption ?

Secondly , I am aware of the large size of a sulcata if not i would not have gotten it . I live in a 10,000 square feet house with ample space for my tortoises .

Good, glad to hear you are not forcing medication that you earlier stated you bought from a tortoise expert pet store...the part where you said you bought medicine from a tortoise expert PET STORE was what generated the assumption that when one goes to a pet store, buys medicine and then says I have not given it to him yet all lead to that assumption on my part--I can not imagine how that would have happened, silly me..boy am I sorry about that mistake..

I also don't see the relevance of your square footage when referring to creatures that are earth loving creatures..why would the size of ones house matter? I do find it curious then if you know basic information about the sulcata why then would you buy it and place it in with the other tort, especially since you have AMPLE room? Did you offer a quarantine period before the new tort was added?

Alaric

Good, glad to hear you are not forcing medication that you earlier stated you bought from a tortoise expert pet store...the part where you said you bought medicine from a tortoise expert PET STORE was what generated the assumption that when one goes to a pet store, buys medicine and then says I have not given it to him yet all lead to that assumption on my part--I can not imagine how that would have happened, silly me..boy am I sorry about that mistake..

I also don't see the relevance of your square footage when referring to creatures that are earth loving creatures..why would the size of ones house matter? I do find it curious then if you know basic information about the sulcata why then would you buy it and place it in with the other tort, especially since you have AMPLE room? Did you offer a quarantine period before the new tort was added?

Why not ? I live in a country where land is precious and expensive . My earth loving creatures have enough space to roam about as and when they like . The reason why i would place them together was because i've set up a nice garden just for the tortoise to live in . Separated from my original lawn because it's not tortoise-proofed yet .
Basic information about Sulcatas do not state they cant inhabit with other species of tortoises .
let me remind you once , This is a thread on HOW to solve an issue . Not a thread on picking a fight or finding mistakes and faults to pin point at others . If thats your purpose and goal in this forum , Then i question what are the standards of this Forum where they name you as '' Well-Known Member'' .

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
As others have mentioned, the best thing you could do would be to keep him warm and away from other tortoises. I would recommend keeping him a bit warmer than others have suggest at around 90 degrees around the clock. Make sure he is soaked frequently and fed as much as he wants to eat.

I slight runny nose is not much to worry about, but when it continues for several days it might be a good idea to take more effort. Keep the temperatures up for a few days and see where he's at at that point.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Why not ? I live in a country where land is precious and expensive . My earth loving creatures have enough space to roam about as and when they like . The reason why i would place them together was because i've set up a nice garden just for the tortoise to live in . Separated from my original lawn because it's not tortoise-proofed yet .
Basic information about Sulcatas do not state they cant inhabit with other species of tortoises .
let me remind you once , This is a thread on HOW to solve an issue . Not a thread on picking a fight or finding mistakes and faults to pin point at others . If thats your purpose and goal in this forum , Then i question what are the standards of this Forum where they name you as '' Well-Known Member'' .

Okay so let me say it again, I am sorry for my mistake on how I came to the assumption you went out and got medicine to give the tortoise. I don't know any other way to say sorry?

I strongly believe that this is one of those times the typed word was received with a tone it was not sent with. You came here saying you wanted help trying to figure what may be done for a tortoise with a sudden runny nose, did you not? questions are asked to get as much information as possible...not to start a fight..I am working really hard here trying to not hear a negative, argumentative tone in your typed conversation..I asked a few questions that I hoped would generate kore helpful backstory so as to try to offer up help.

I wish you well as well as your tortoise.

Alaric

As others have mentioned, the best thing you could do would be to keep him warm and away from other tortoises. I would recommend keeping him a bit warmer than others have suggest at around 90 degrees around the clock. Make sure he is soaked frequently and fed as much as he wants to eat.

I slight runny nose is not much to worry about, but when it continues for several days it might be a good idea to take more effort. Keep the temperatures up for a few days and see where he's at at that point.
Thank you Neal so much ! Noted . Will update on how he is ! His appetite is as usual and as encouraging as ever .

Alaric

I too strongly believe that there are times when words are typed and associated with a tone that isnt there . But let me assure you i typed that way only because of the way you typed and came off at me . I QUOTE

This whole comment of yours . HOW is this offering me advice ? Don't this sound like a dressing down in sarcasm manner ?
Your few questions ASKED isn't as ''innocent'' as you make it to be . It sounded off more of an insult than a question . Why make a rhetorical question when you dont bother on the answer? When i answered your ''question'' , what you simply do is ASK another sarcastic rude question to criticize my capabilities of raising the torts .
Apparently it only gives you the chance to flame someone of their tortoise . Seems like you're OUT to criticize anyone or everyone's torts/turts of their environment or anything you can find at all to flame .
I wish you well as well as your tortoise ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I too strongly believe that there are times when words are typed and associated with a tone that isnt there . But let me assure you i typed that way only because of the way you typed and came off at me . I QUOTE

This whole comment of yours . HOW is this offering me advice ? Don't this sound like a dressing down in sarcasm manner ?
Your few questions ASKED isn't as ''innocent'' as you make it to be . It sounded off more of an insult than a question . Why make a rhetorical question when you dont bother on the answer? When i answered your ''question'' , what you simply do is ASK another sarcastic rude question to criticize my capabilities of raising the torts .
Apparently it only gives you the chance to flame someone of their tortoise . Seems like you're OUT to criticize anyone or everyone's torts/turts of their environment or anything you can find at all to flame .
I wish you well as well as your tortoise ;)

Alaskamike

South Florida
I have a Redfoot that came to me with a runny nose. Different kind of tortoise but the possible upper respatory infection is similar in the way it is treated.

I'm not a veterinarian, but reading those ingredients on the meds you got from the pet store I wouldn't give that to my tortoise. The tortoises own immune system should take care of it if the heat / sunlight and stress level is managed.

Have you had your star since a baby ? I would love to see a picture of your tortoise garden. We all try to provide interesting and healthy environments for our charges depending on the weather in our part of the world.

On my Redfoot, since she was eating well , I waited it out to see how she would do. It corrected itself in a couple weeks. Could've gone the other way , of course. Since tortoises do not have a diaphragm like we do it is hard for them to clear out mucus. They will pump their legs to force air in and out sometimes.

The anti biopics that are sometimes given by shot to tortoises can cause problems. If you consider that treatment it might be a good idea to check here with the name and route of administration before allowing it. We have some very experienced members - including some vets - who can advise.

Since you have a baby sulcata now, might want to check out the threads in the species specific area. Some great best care info there to get your baby off to a great start.

Good fortune to you and your tortoises !