Should I get a male or female sulcata baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
I'm looking at getting a baby within the week and the breeder has temperature sexed males and females and sent me pics of a couple! I can't decide which is more suitable and adorable! So pros and cons for either sex? Please:) will post pics when I get it!

StellaRT

5 Year Member
I'm looking at getting a baby within the week and the breeder has temperature sexed males and females and sent me pics of a couple! I can't decide which is more suitable and adorable! So pros and cons for either sex? Please:) will post pics when I get it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have gathered, the male in most species of torts seem to be more personable. The females can get egg bound, even if there is no male around. That's about all I got. See what others say. BTW, the temp sexed is still not fool proof.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you want a baby, unfortunately, you won't have a choice. Sex can't be determined for a few years yet. You'll just to take what you get...if you want a baby.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, and read the threads at the bottom of my post, they are all good info for raising a sulcata hatchling the right way. Also, see how the breeder keeps them. If he keeps them dry or on pellets, you would be better off looking someplace else.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
I am pretty new to tortoises but I have a baby sulcata and from everything "I" have read, not much difference in male or female! They both get big! Someone said the males are more out going then the females but I have no clue. I'm sure someone smarter then me will chime in! Good luck with your choice!

StellaRT

5 Year Member
I know it's not foolproof but theres just something about being given the option of a male or female. Of course, I will adore it no matter its sex:)
I keep trying to post the pics I was sent but they won't post from my phone.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
So sorry! I posted from the tortoise form app on my android phone and it doesn't tell me when my post posts. Sometimes it says my post first doesn't go through when it actually does. Theres a few bugs on the app. Will clean it up when I get on my PC.

TortyTom said:
I am pretty new to tortoises but I have a baby sulcata and from everything "I" have read, not much difference in male or female! They both get big! Someone said the males are more out going then the females but I have no clue. I'm sure someone smarter then me will chime in! Good luck with your choice!

Thanks tortytom!

StellaRT

5 Year Member
Getting my baby on Sunday!
Talked to the guy and got a pretty good feel for him.
He keeps his babies in conditions as prescribed on here and even knows the importance of humidity for babies!! I did my research ;):tort:
I am so excited!

:tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yay! So exciting! *insert happy turtle dance here! :)

Chainsawkitten said:
Yay! So exciting! *insert happy turtle dance here! *:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are just going to have one as a pet, males tend to be more personable. What did you end up with?

StellaRT

5 Year Member
I got one that was temperature sexed as a male! So adorable! but no name as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.