sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My Herman tortoise is a male and i am wanting anothor one of the same species and around the same age (he is about two years old). If i were to get more will a male and male fight? or shal i get a female of shall i get two females as i may breed in the future? any advice?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Rosiee said:
My Herman tortoise is a male and i am wanting anothor one of the same species and around the same age (he is about two years old). If i were to get more will a male and male fight? or shal i get a female of shall i get two females as i may breed in the future? any advice?

It might be too soon to tell if your current tortoise really is male. When they are very young they all look the same sex. Even if the breeder incubated the eggs for a certain sex, it is sometimes "iffy".

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Can you post pics of your Hermann's tail? (from the bottom) Two males will most likely fight allot, a dominant male will try to mount and ram another male constantly. If you plan to breed later on I would suggest picking up a female, if you do indeed have a male. :)

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am using his pointed tail as a rough indicator of Little foot being a boy but am ready for sex changes along the way

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rosiee said:
this is 'his' tail

It's kinda' dark, but taking the tort's size into account (compared to your hand), I'd have to say I THINK its female. Is the cloaca (vent) closer to the tip of the tail or closer to the body?

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Im guessing female as well, but could be too small yet to tell for sure. Both of my 2yr old Hermanns are very much male.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It looks like a young male to me. :p It would be nice though to get a better picture of the plastron and tail to be sure. Also what is his SCL (straight carapace length)?

Danny

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Rosiee said:
this is 'his' tail

It's kinda' dark, but taking the tort's size into account (compared to your hand), I'd have to say I THINK its female. Is the cloaca (vent) closer to the tip of the tail or closer to the body?

Yvonne

my hands are onli 5 inches long and Little foot is about 4 and a half inches??? does that make a difference to whether u think its male or female?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Size makes a big difference. :D I enlarged the picture and with the size I'm going to have to change my mind and go with everyone else.
You have a female. :D

Danny

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A female aaaa well i'll post some more pictures at a later date for more of an insite thanks thou very insiteful

Status
Not open for further replies.