Breeding Loans

Status
Not open for further replies.

James H

5 Year Member
I have two male tortoises, one greek and one russian that I would like to find females for. I have been haveing a hard time finding females for the greek so I was wondering if anyone in north texas has females that they would like to breed with an unrelated male. I would be happy to post up some photos if him if anyone is interested.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
To avoid the spread of disease, the general rule is that you really shouldn't mix new tortoises in with your old ones until you have been able to quarantine the new ones for at least six months. So, unless someone is willing to let you keep their female tortoises for a minimum of six months (or you are willing to give up your males for that long), loaning tortoises for breeding really isn't feasible.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
In the case where a tortoise has been in the keepers care for more than 6 months with no health problems, and has a clean bill of health from a vet check up, and has been isolated from other tortoises and species, it isn't really all that necessary to keep them isolated so stringently. Of course, only do this if it is someone you trust to be telling you the truth about the health history of their tortoise.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
James H said:
I have two male tortoises, one greek and one russian that I would like to find females for. I have been haveing a hard time finding females for the greek so I was wondering if anyone in north texas has females that they would like to breed with an unrelated male. I would be happy to post up some photos if him if anyone is interested.

The Lone Star Reptile Expo is this weekend, in Arlington...at the last one, I saw a lot of adult Russians going for about $45, so that could take care of your Russian's needs. No idea if there'll be any Greeks, but I'll be looking, myself, for a female, preferably Iberian.

Pretty decent prices...about 1/2 of what I've seen everywhere else.

THE ELKS LODGE
601 WEST PIONEER PARKWAY
LOCATED ON THE NORTH SIDE OF PIONEER BETWEEN COOPER AND CENTER
ARLINGTON, TEXAS 76010
10:00 am to 5:00 pm ON SATURDAY
10:00 am to 4:00 pm ON SUNDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.