Once Tortotise have lived in a group, can they live solo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Poet Called Anya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicopee, MA
Hello,

I just adopted three Russian tortoise from someone wanting to rehome them. It was all three or none. (Even though each had its own price.) And I really wanted the large active female. So after thinking about it, I decided to get them. Thinking I could always rehome the male if things did not work out.

There are two females and one male.
Female One - about 6x6
Female Two - about 5x5
Male - about 4x4

The large females bullies the male and mounts him. He is very shy, has to be feed separately (or he just hides in his shell and will not eat), and not very active. She also bullies the other females but the other female does not seem to care. Almost like she ignores her. I also do not want them to breed. I am not experienced enough nor do I want the responsibility.

So my question is... I want to rehome him and maybe the small female. He has been with them for a year or so and the females have been together for a few years (she said). Will she and he be effected if she and he are rehomed to a home where she and he are the only tortoise? Since getting a whole other set up for the male and having him live solo would be the same as rehoming.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
If they've been together for that long it's possible that both the females have already bred with the male. You may end up getting hatchlings if you keep one of the females. Well, maybe not, 4'' is pretty small to be sexually mature. I'm guessing these are russians?

They should be fine once they're separated. You might notice some "moping" behavior for a few days, but after that they'll be fine.

A Poet Called Anya

5 Year Member
Chicopee, MA
PeanutbuttER said:
If they've been together for that long it's possible that both the females have already bred with the male. You may end up getting hatchlings if you keep one of the females. Well, maybe not, 4'' is pretty small to be sexually mature. I'm guessing these are russians?

They should be fine once they're separated. You might notice some "moping" behavior for a few days, but after that they'll be fine.

Yes they are Russian. Sorry, I forgot to put that.

I hope they are not pregnant. The woman said the females always mounted him. And before I got them I read that he can at 4x4 but most likely won't until 5x5.

Ok good. Because if it would effect their health, I would keep the two females together and then find a person who already has a male who would want to adopt him. (Cause I do have a woman who has no other tortoise interested in him. But I wanted to make sure he would be fine alone before I adopted him out.)

Thank you. :)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
2 males together is a bad idea. They're the ones that usually end up bullying each other the worst. I wouldn't adopt him to someone who only has one other male. That's a recipe for disaster for him. :) The lady who has no other tortoise would be better for him.

They're probably not pregnant, but it's not impossible, just somewhat unlikely.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thats great you adopt you got them off Craigslist I have seen that post a few weeks ago an you had to take all three must be the same one you from Chicopee right Im in Dudley can you post some pic's of them we all like to see new pic's :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have had my russians for ten years now, they are usually fine solitary if that is what you are gonna choose. I never thought of your question before but I would imagine if the female is bullying (not the norm but def not unusual) They might be happier separated, I personally don't think you will see any moping behavior myself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "A Poet Called Anya":

May I assume that your name is Anya?

If the male is so intimidated by the large female, I think it is in his best interest to either re-home him or set him up in a different habitat. Tortoises are solitary creatures by nature and they don't have a "herd" reflex like some mammals do. They should do fine as solo tortoises.

Welcome to the forum!!

A Poet Called Anya

5 Year Member
Chicopee, MA
Ok good. See, that is what I thought. That he would be better off by himself.

I mean, every day, I try and feed them together, and every time the big female bulldozes the other two and he just submits and hides in the log. So then I take her out and put him in the food and he eats with the smaller female. Today the big female pooped on me while I was holding her. >.< He just does not seem like he is enjoying life like the two females. And I feel so guilty making him live that way, all scared and hiding. I am sure he will be much happier living alone.

I would like to keep both females. But if she starts bullying the other female more and making her not eat, then I will have to rehome her too. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you everyone for being nice and helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.