Scammed? I feel sick.

Tinytortmama

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I’m concerned that I paid someone who seemed very legit for a tortoise that will never arrive. I’m gutted and feel sick to my stomach 💔 She sent me pics and prices of several torts of different kinds.

Attachments

• IMG_4138.png
    IMG_4138.png
    620.7 KB · Views: 7

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I certainly hope you don't get scammed. Is your question if the three torts in the picture are different kinds of tortoises? or a different kind from what you purchased? What did you purchase?

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
I certainly hope you don't get scammed. Is your question if the three torts in the picture are different kinds of tortoises? or a different kind from what you purchased? What did you purchase?
I purchased the one on the left but I’ve questioned the breeder and somethings off. She is supposed to ship him tomorrow…

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'll defer to others here who deal with babies (@Tom @Yvonne G) but they all look like the same species to me. You're probably going to get asked what breeder, where they are, etc.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Who is the person? If we know of them we could tell you if legit or not.
What happened or was said, that makes you think it's not going to ship?

If they are legit, I would ask the to not ship this late in the week. They should be shipped Monday they Wednesday Incase of any delay, the poor tort isn't stuck some place over the weekend.
Also, depending on where you are, the weather may be too hot to ship
So, tells us more and details and we might be able to figure out if seems legit or not.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
Who is the person? If we know of them we could tell you if legit or not.
What happened or was said, that makes you think it's not going to ship?

If they are legit, I would ask the to not ship this late in the week. They should be shipped Monday they Wednesday Incase of any delay, the poor tort isn't stuck some place over the weekend.
Also, depending on where you are, the weather may be too hot to ship
So, tells us more and details and we might be able to figure out if seems legit or not.
everyone says on a Sulcata forum on FB that her pics are fake 💔 I’m certain I was taken 😩 she has blocked everyone that called her out apparently. I literally feel
Gutted. My husband and I have no children, have lost two of our three Italian greyhounds in the past 11 months that were age 14 and 16, and we wanted to add another family member. I’m an just in disbelief.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
everyone says on a Sulcata forum on FB that her pics are fake 💔 I’m certain I was taken 😩 she has blocked everyone that called her out apparently. I literally feel
Gutted. My husband and I have no children, have lost two of our three Italian greyhounds in the past 11 months that were age 14 and 16, and we wanted to add another family member. I’m an just in disbelief.
I"m so very sorry. For what it is worth (just my opinion), babies are pretty fragile and you've already had a lot of tragedy, so you're sort of asking for more with a baby.

If you know a Sulcata is a good fit for you - and please read these if so
and
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181504/

But honestly there are so many Sulcata that need homes because people don't realize how much work they are and how much space they need. You may be better off getting one that is past the more fragile stage and you can provide one that needs a home a good one as well.

Anyway just something to consider...

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. Her name is Mia Charlotte and she is in Missouri. Does anyone here sell hatchlings or is that a no-no?
I've been advised by my shipper to only ship on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I wouldn't ship on any other day. Also, they should be going hub to hub, not directly to your house.

I don't know that breeder, but almost no one starts them correctly. Hopefully she is an exception.

Its perfectly okay to buy, sell, trade, or adopt tortoises here.

I recommend @NorCal tortoise guy for a sulcata baby.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
I've been advised by my shipper to only ship on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I wouldn't ship on any other day. Also, they should be going hub to hub, not directly to your house.

I don't know that breeder, but almost no one starts them correctly. Hopefully she is an exception.

Its perfectly okay to buy, sell, trade, or adopt tortoises here.

I recommend @NorCal tortoise guy for a sulcata baby.
Thank you, he commented above and I messaged him after seeing your post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I certainly hope you didn't get scammed. Is the baby supposed to be arriving tomorrow? If you don't receive the shipment and are unable to contact the shipper, contact the place through which you paid and see if they can help get your money back.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
I certainly hope you didn't get scammed. Is the baby supposed to be arriving tomorrow? If you don't receive the shipment and are unable to contact the shipper, contact the place through which you paid and see if they can help get your money back.
She is supposed to ship tomorrow, arrive on Friday. I paid via Apple Pay so there no recourse :/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not sure if this is helpful.
But either way, I hope you aren't out any money in the end