I just introduced myself , but then.....

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
She wasn't wanting people to blame the torts, and she wasn't blaming her tort either. She was completely blaming her grandmother and the dog. The reason she got upset was because of people bad-mouthing her grandmother and implying she was abused by the grandmother.
I did it too when my emotions over her grandmothers actions got the better of me, so I'm just as much to blame as everyone else. But she didn't start getting upset until after people started going off on the grandmother. Maybe all of us should take this as a learning experience and try to better control how our emotions affect what we say. The points made were good, but the way they were worded could have been better. I've had this lesson slapped in my face a couple times this week, although the other time I don't feel bad about anymore because it turns out the person was a troll.
I'm sorry it makes you feel bad cause you where just trying to help the tort from getting hurt by the dog !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree less bashing of the grandparents would have been nice. I do think though, without her knowing it, she set the tone for that.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Great thread!
It is important to get as much info to the new members as quickly as possible as some of them won't come back.
If something they read here sticks in their minds, it was worth it.
I know that information overload and seemingly critical posts can also chase away some members, but the alternative, of saying Shelly is a beautiful tortoise and welcome to the forum when it's obvious there are problems, is not going to help the tortoise or the owner in the long run.
We can't just sit quiet when someone has too small an enclosure, coiled bulbs, red lights, dry or the wrong substrate, drowning hazard water bowls, dogs in the enclosure,two Russian males in an enclosure together, tortoises walking the house and being fed Mc Donalds, it would be wrong not to say something.
We just have to be more patient, even when we're answering the same question for the 777th time or to the same person for the 5th time.
Everyday we save tortoise lives on this forum and make the lives of others better.
Everyday the word spreads a little bit further.
We can change the world, guys.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Myself - I prefer bunt. Get to the point , I can take it. But everyone is different. Some people are more concerned with their feelings and perceived insult than facts and good solid advice.

If I am told " Your substrata is wrong , sand is an impaction danger & won't hold moisture " that makes perfect sense to me. I'd rather that than ....

" I know you've probably been advised by someone else , a pet store, or a book that sand makes the best substrata, but we've found that sometimes it gets ingested with the food and can cause impactions. Not that I'm saying YOUR baby tortoise will eat it , just that it's possible and there are several other good alternatives... You could try ....."

Straight forward answers and opinions are good. At the same time diplomacy is important Especially to some more sensitive people.

It was said by several in this thread - we advise because we care.

I believe that is the bottom line.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Myself - I prefer bunt. Get to the point , I can take it. But everyone is different.
We advise because we care.
I believe that is the bottom line.
See, I concur 100% with this. My regular cleaning may be lacking, but the important things, temps-humidity-substrate-food are all good and 100% solid based.