Russian Tortoise Concerns

Jadelou

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been looking at a few and found it very useful!

I have a lovely Russian tortoise called Toto who is just about over 3 years old and I think is a male. I got him when he was approximately 18months old.

When I brought him I was advised a vivarium was perfect for him, however since looking online recently I have discovered it is not! Although when I brought the vivarium I did make changes to it such as removing the top and adding more tortoise friendly soil for him to dig in.

I live in the UK so don't get great weather during the year. I try to get him outside as much as possible but he mainly lives inside with a spot lamp & uv light.

He was a happy little guy until recently he has started to want to sleep a lot and isn't eating much or drinking. Last year he hibernated for all of 6weeks and am wondering if he is trying to begin this process again?

Also his shell is starting to show bumps on top and the edges seem to be lifting at the corners? It is worrying me as I have looked up shell 'pyramiding' and am worrying this is what is happening!

Any kind advice would be great as am worrying about my little guy.

Thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Pyramiding alone is not a "health" concern in itself. What type of substrate are you using? What temps are you running day and night? Do you offer the tort a warm humid hide that remains that way day and night?

Yes, this species of tortoise would have a deep seeded desire to brumate, especially if the tortoise has done so in the past....but you will want to make sure the health of the tort is sound before supporting brumation for the tort. May we see a pic of the tortoise ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would add a bit more humidity into the habitat to help with the bumpiness.

Welcome to the Forum!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I too own a Russian named Toto. I got him from and friend of a friend, so I didn't name him, but kept the name as I'm a big fan of the Wizard of Oz:D