Eye Concerns - Possible Injury

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I got the Zoo Med Powersun MVB 100W. It's still warming up, but the dial thermometer is reading 95 degrees. I will also use my temp gun within the next hour to get an accurate reading. Do you find big variation between the dial and gun? Mine can be anywhere from 5-10 degrees of variance. With the 125W bulb, there was a helpful guide for knowing how high to hang the bulb, I didn't see one with this 100W.
Zoo Med recommends the 100 watt MVB be placed between 12-24" from tortoise height. From a purely UVB standpoint, I would think 16-18" would be a good range.

NewTortMom0417

Zoo Med recommends the 100 watt MVB be placed between 12-24" from tortoise height. From a purely UVB standpoint, I would think 16-18" would be a good range.

Perfect. I have it at 16" and my temp gun is measuring 98 degrees. I think I finally have the correct set up. Your advice has been incredibly valuable to me and my little baby. Thank you.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Perfect. I have it at 16" and my temp gun is measuring 98 degrees. I think I finally have the correct set up. Your advice has been incredibly valuable to me and my little baby. Thank you.
Maybe bump it up to 18" and see if you can get more like 94° for a basking temp. Let's give the little guy a break from the excessive heat for a bit... Optimal thermal temp for a tortoise is core body of 84°-86° for metabolism. 90° skin temp for D3 synthesis. Such a little guy can get that quickly with its small body mass under a bit cooler temps.

NewTortMom0417

Maybe bump it up to 18" and see if you can get more like 94° for a basking temp. Let's give the little guy a break from the excessive heat for a bit... Optimal thermal temp for a tortoise is core body of 84°-86° for metabolism. 90° skin temp for D3 synthesis. Such a little guy can get that quickly with its small body mass under a bit cooler temps.

18 inches, will do. His enclosure is in my office with me and I have already noticed how much nicer this room is now that I switched bulbs. Wow. I really could have hurt him.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You may have missed where I said I also use a temperature gun.
What keeps the temp gun honest? You mentioned that you need to remove top to measure with it. The ones I suggested would not require that. Plus you mentioned you get a difference between the two. Temp guns fail too..I was just relaying some equipment that I felt helped me immensely.

NewTortMom0417

What keeps the temp gun honest? You mentioned that you need to remove top to measure with it. The ones I suggested would not require that. Plus you mentioned you get a difference between the two. Temp guns fail too..I was just relaying some equipment that I felt helped me immensely.

The lid only halfway covers the warm side, it's not completely covered. And I appreciate your feedback and knowledge. I realized the dial reads wrong because the black plastic heats up, when I point the temp gun on the button, it reads exactly what the dial reads, which isn't correct. I'm on the right track now, my baby opened his eyes to eat and explore. I am certain he will 100% in no time.