RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mserratore

5 Year Member
Hi. I have two African Leopard Tortoises....Sammy and Leo. I took them to the vet yesterday and he said they have an RI. I have set up the environment exactly as the woman who I bought them from told me to. I sent her pictures and the vet as well and they said it was set up right with the right temps and humidity. I have to nebulize them in a separate enclosure that we built. I am wondering how they got the RI. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Do you think they will get better. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Unless the vet took a smear of the mucous excretions from the nose, and looked at them under a microscope, or tested them in some way, he's only guessing that your tortoises have a respiratory infection.

If these are new-to-you tortoises, chances are good that the runny nose is simply from the stress of moving to a new location and having to get used to living in a new environment.

Were the tortoises allowed to get cold? This sometimes leads to a RI.

We really wouldn't know what you are doing wrong unless you tell us what you are doing. Or send us some pictures of the habitat.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We need to know temperatures ,humidity. There are so many things that can go wrong . Did your vet check for parasites in a fecal sample?

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Mserratore

5 Year Member
Hi. They do not have runny noses. He diagnosed it just by listening to their breathing which is a bit crackly. The tortoise table. Is 4 feet by 3. The basking area has a substrate of damp sphagnum moss and the basking temp is 90-95 degrees. The cool side can get to 80 in the day and 75 at night. I use a Powersun 100 for UV and heat and a night heat lamp only when the temps in the house drop below 75 degrees. The rest of the table has Cyprus mulch as the substrate. It was very humid here for about 2 weeks but they came from Alabama where it is very humid according to the breeder. She has been very helpful and I sent pictures of the environment. They did a fecal sample and no parasites were found. Thanks.

I have had them for only one month.

Not sure how to add pictures with this app. I am trying to o figure it out.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375315919.450537.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375315946.078485.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.