Questions about soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Hi, guys only two days left til new year. Happy new years to you guys.
I have two lepoards for a month and im having trouble soaking them. Sometimes they sit still and poop half of their size, but most of the time they try to get out of the soaking container. They will try to climb up. Like Out of 10 soaking i only succeed two or threetimes. Please help me how to make them sit stil. This is really stressing me!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Not all tortoise enjoy soaks. If you are using a container that allows them to stretch out, warm water, and tall enough sides that they can not climb out...then you are touching base on what you can do...be certain to provide them with the soaks, also provide dishes in their enclosures and you can spray water on their food to assure some additional water intake...IMHO that is :D

How are these two little torts doing? eyes clear, eating well?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Not all tortoise enjoy soaks. If you are using a container that allows them to stretch out, warm water, and tall enough sides that they can not climb out...then you are touching base on what you can do...be certain to provide them with the soaks, also provide dishes in their enclosures and you can spray water on their food to assure some additional water intake...IMHO that is :D

How are these two little torts doing? eyes clear, eating well?

Hey ascott, hows everything thanks for ur help again. They r doing really good eats well, and very active. They even notice me. When i put my finger enside of enclosure or go close they look at me and try to come close me. Its such a cutie pie.
Thanks again ascott i keep that in mind thanks.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I kind of do the opposite. I set mine in a dish of water they can climb out of any time. So everyday I just plop them in there. Often, they soak and drink before getting out. Sometimes they get out right away. I like this method because I feel like it stresses them less - they are in control. Hope that was helpful. :)

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Mine always have available water to soak. But they get put in larger high walled containers daily to make them soak longer (15-20 min) and get sprinkled with water to mimic rain and help induce a bowel movement. I dont think the stress induced upon them is too great. The benefits out weigh the stress induced when it comes to a less than a year old Leopard Tort.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
:D:tort:as long as the water is warm my leo likes his soaks. he gets a 30 min every night except on weekends its kinda hit n miss.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I actually soak mine in the bathroom sink. When he poops, I drain the water and fill back up again or put them in a flat bottom bowl and fill part way with warm water. Make sure they can touch bottom. Let them soak, keep water warm. They won't over stress if they are kept warm and can touch. I would not give up, way to important. I also would not count on them doing it on their own, but do keep a shallow bowl of water available to them at all times.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
I kind of do the opposite. I set mine in a dish of water they can climb out of any time. So everyday I just plop them in there. Often, they soak and drink before getting out. Sometimes they get out right away. I like this method because I feel like it stresses them less - they are in control. Hope that was helpful. :)

I will try that trrow thank u

Hallbomber said:
Mine always have available water to soak. But they get put in larger high walled containers daily to make them soak longer (15-20 min) and get sprinkled with water to mimic rain and help induce a bowel movement. I dont think the stress induced upon them is too great. The benefits out weigh the stress induced when it comes to a less than a year old Leopard Tort.

I do hav water dish available and i should daily soak like u do. Thanks

Kvoigt said:
:D:tort:as long as the water is warm my leo likes his soaks. he gets a 30 min every night except on weekends its kinda hit n miss.

Hope mine likes it too. Even the water is warm they dont like it thank u

wellington said:
I actually soak mine in the bathroom sink. When he poops, I drain the water and fill back up again or put them in a flat bottom bowl and fill part way with warm water. Make sure they can touch bottom. Let them soak, keep water warm. They won't over stress if they are kept warm and can touch. I would not give up, way to important. I also would not count on them doing it on their own, but do keep a shallow bowl of water available to them at all times.

Thats pretty good idea but dont they drink while soaking? I thought chlroines r bad for them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't understand what makes it a "success" or not. How old are they?

Just put them in the water for 10-60 minutes and then rinse them and put them back in the enclosure.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't understand what makes it a "success" or not. How old are they?

Just put them in the water for 10-60 minutes and then rinse them and put them back in the enclosure.

Its a baby about 2months i guess. Its hard to make them poop while soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.