Pyramiding

Cookiesandcream1.

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hi. I am just concerned whether my tort is Pyramiding, and I’d so how can I prevent this?
He is around 3 years old.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1685.png
    IMG_1685.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, he is very pyramided for a Russian. He was raised to dry.
The only thing you can do now is give some humidity to his enclosure, 50% and lots of room, 4x8 minimum to roam and exercise in. Outside enclosure for warm months.

Cookiesandcream1.

Manchester
Here he is from another angle. I am really concerned now. Is this going to affect him greatly?

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just cosmetic.
Just be sure to give him plenty of room to roam, not an aquarium or premade tortoise table, none of those are big enough. Add humidity and proper lighting and heat, and uvb. Do not use a mercury vapor bulb as they promote pyramiding.

Cookiesandcream1.

Manchester
Just cosmetic.
Just be sure to give him plenty of room to roam, not an aquarium or premade tortoise table, none of those are big enough. Add humidity and proper lighting and heat, and uvb. Do not use a mercury vapor bulb as they promote pyramiding.
Do you have a link or recommendation to a good bulb to use? Just to ensure I am using the correct type.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi. I am just concerned whether my tort is Pyramiding, and I’d so how can I prevent this?
He is around 3 years old.
Thanks!
Once you get everything else squared away, your tortoise could use a bit of a beak trim as well.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
And if you provide us with more information such as his diet, and what substrate is in his enclosure, we can probably give you some more advice to help you give him the best possible care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I will take all of the above on board. Thankyou for your help
Please take the time to read though this a time or two. Look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom.

Pyramiding is caused by incorrect housing and or lighting. This info will get you on the right track:

Cookiesandcream1.

Manchester
And if you provide us with more information such as his diet, and what substrate is in his enclosure, we can probably give you some more advice to help you give him the best possible care.
He has orchid bark substrate and we feed him greens and the pellets. However he is really fussy and doesn’t seem to want to try anything new. I’ve tried soaking hay in habiscus, tried the flowers they can have, he doesn’t seem to even want to humour them. I am not sure if he is getting lazy and fussy as we don’t make him look for his food? We just kind of hand feed him (I know really bad habit)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Before I came here, I had a lot of wrong ideas about how tortoises should be kept. The care sheets that Tom has suggested you read are actually essential advice that will make the difference between misery and vitality for your tortoise. Please take the time to follow them, and you will be glad you did.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Ensure you provide cuttlefish in the enclosure and add a tiny calcium dusting to greens. I would cease hand feeding and provide fresh water and food AM and let the tortoise find the dish and eat. I remove food PM and provide fresh water only around 16.00 for the night Read the care sheets and introduce soaks in warm shallow water in a high sided container around 30mins. You will not reverse the pyramids however you want new growth to be smooth. Have a good look at the enclosure to see what can be improved changed etc... Ask on here any questions.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Here he is from another angle. I am really concerned now. Is this going to affect him greatly?
The pyramiding on his shell will never go away, but his new growth round his scutes will gradually help to make it look smoother, especially as he gets bigger over time. The pyramiding won't actually harm him.
Angie

Cookiesandcream1.

Manchester
Ensure you provide cuttlefish in the enclosure and add a tiny calcium dusting to greens. I would cease hand feeding and provide fresh water and food AM and let the tortoise find the dish and eat. I remove food PM and provide fresh water only around 16.00 for the night Read the care sheets and introduce soaks in warm shallow water in a high sided container around 30mins. You will not reverse the pyramids however you want new growth to be smooth. Have a good look at the enclosure to see what can be improved changed etc... Ask on here any questions.
Hi Sarah, Thankyou for your advice :) we try to soak him every 2 days in warmish water, I may try leaving him in a little longer! I also do add calcium dusting to his food but he seems to know when it’s on there and avoid! Maybe I am adding too much? will have a look at getting a cuttlefish too. I have read the care sheets previously and changed accordingly but I am definitely still learning everyday from you all on here :). I just want to make him as happy and comfortable as possible!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Great that you are taking action. The pyramids will alter his spine so really important to ensure calcium for strong bone, claw, beak and shell growth and most importantly new growth is improved as much as possible. Agree they taste and avoid. I offer a dusting stirred and also pellets that have vitamins. Obviously in moderation but helping to provide balanced nutrition.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
This is what I have and use the powers on rotation 1 or 2 times a week. The nutri call seems to be flavourless and successful but the calcium is also taken when stirred in.
The dry food I mix in a container and provide 3 or 4 pellets on the salad hydrated in water on the dish.

Attachments

• 16921174106333749486204553074217.jpg
    16921174106333749486204553074217.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

Cookiesandcream1.

Manchester
Yes he has the banana one of those and he loves them! I think it’s the strong smell of them he loves. I will try and keep persisting with the calcium a little at a time, how often do you add this? Daily?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
1 or 2 a week as a light dusting. I use end of teaspoon very tiny amount and tap it over. Cuttlefish also worth adding ignored for ages and then suddenly munched .