Pretend Chat 2.14

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Ugh full tummy. Took the truck back and then took kids out for supper at a Chinese place that is a favorite of my son-in-law.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the biggest thing I miss since I now have no immediate friends- eating out. I used to go out to lunch frequently, now hardly ever, and then it's only fast food to bring home.

Does it look like your lemon drops have grown any? Mine looks slightly bigger, but it might just be wishful thinking. I pick up an egg here and there in their yard occasionally, and am faithfully incubating them, but don't hold out hope of them hatching.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Actually, I too think either they are growing or I just think they are. They eat good and I keep adding more variety of stuff, which they like.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Oh heck. . . forget "taking out", I'd just be happy to have you to go to lunch with! Seems you have the same likes as I do (chinese and mexican)
I'm with you ladies....Chinese and Mexican are my favorite also. Irene are not so keen about the Mexican food though. And I have to remember that you only eat one meal a day. Even I doesn't agree that is particularly health.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You need a lunch buddy . But that would ruin your cave dwelling routine . They have an app for your cell phone you can go to a eating place an FaceTime each other .

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'm with you ladies....Chinese and Mexican are my favorite also. Irene are not so keen about the Mexican food though. And I have to remember that you only eat one meal a day. Even I doesn't agree that is particularly health.

Jeff normally eats one meal a day, too. But he also has snacks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

So when can we all get together? I've been trying to psych myself up to go to the tortoise thing in Arizona, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need a lunch buddy . But that would ruin your cave dwelling routine . They have an app for your cell phone you can go to a eating place an FaceTime each other .

cell phone? What's that? Just kidding - I finally got one, but it's only for emergencies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tomorrow is my 2nd birthday.... I turn 10

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years already since my wreck

Well, happy birthday! You're one lucky dude! Was you accident as bad as Cowboy Ken's?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Well, happy birthday! You're one lucky dude! Was you accident as bad as Cowboy Ken's?
Not to take Kens wreck lightly because his was horrible but from the conversations we've had the stories he's shared, sadly I think mine was worse.

I was on a motorcycle on a 2 lane highway traveling at 65 mph when a 93 year old man traveling 55 mph, at the last second, crossed over the double yellow line and hit me head on. I had 8' of skid mark before he hit me. He thought both lanes were traveling in the same direction so he was changing lanes to prepare to make a left hand turn about 1/2 mile up the road.

Ive had 28 surgeries
Spent 6 months flat on my back in the hospital (spread out over 3 hospitals)
2 months in a rehab place learning how to walk again
6 months in out patient rehab until I could walk without a cane.

It was another year or so after all that before my brain could think correctly again. Even now I have troubles recalling nouns. For example I may forget someone's name, even though I've know them for years. I know there name but it takes my brain time to recall that specific memory. Or I'll forget what a hammer is called I'll say to someone hand me that.... stupid thing you bang nails in with... then a few seconds later I'll say hammer. I know damn well what it is... just takes me longer to recall it is all and it only happens with nouns. It has something to do with the specific part of my brain I landed on. Good thing I'm hard headed :)

I bled out and had to be shocked back to life twice that night. First time was on the helicopter and I was down for about 4 mins. Then right after the chopper landed and I was being taken into the hospital it happened again. I was gone for 14 mins that time and the doctors weren't sure I'd make it through the night. It wasn't until about day 14 that they told my family they thought I was going to survive. For the first few weeks it was let's just keep him alive though the night to do another surgery......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not to take Kens wreck lightly because his was horrible but from the conversations we've had the stories he's shared, sadly I think mine was worse.

I was on a motorcycle on a 2 lane highway traveling at 65 mph when a 93 year old man traveling 55 mph, at the last second, crossed over the double yellow line and hit me head on. I had 8' of skid mark before he hit me. He thought both lanes were traveling in the same direction so he was changing lanes to prepare to make a left hand turn about 1/2 mile up the road.

Ive had 28 surgeries
Spent 6 months flat on my back in the hospital (spread out over 3 hospitals)
2 months in a rehab place learning how to walk again
6 months in out patient rehab until I could walk without a cane.

It was another year or so after all that before my brain could think correctly again. Even now I have troubles recalling nouns. For example I may forget someone's name, even though I've know them for years. I know there name but it takes my brain time to recall that specific memory. Or I'll forget what a hammer is called I'll say to someone hand me that.... stupid thing you bang nails in with... then a few seconds later I'll say hammer. I know damn well what it is... just takes me longer to recall it is all and it only happens with nouns. It has something to do with the specific part of my brain I landed on. Good thing I'm hard headed :)

I bled out and had to be shocked back to life twice that night. First time was on the helicopter and I was down for about 4 mins. Then right after the chopper landed and I was being taken into the hospital it happened again. I was gone for 14 mins that time and the doctors weren't sure I'd make it through the night. It wasn't until about day 14 that they told my family they thought I was going to survive. For the first few weeks it was let's just keep him alive though the night to do another surgery......

Wow, then this really should be a celebration for you. So very glad you made it!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What a great way to celebrate!! How sweet of your family to acknowledge your special day!
They don't get a choice, they wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my wreck.

I met my wife while in the hospital. She was one of the aids taking care of me in the second hospital I was in. Together we have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. No wreck means no family so they celebrate with me.