Potentially a new tortoise owner!

duckgalrox

Hello! You can call me Duck, and I live in Minnesota.

I'm curious what kind of tortoise would be best for me - I've narrowed it down to Hermann's, spur-thighed, or Russian, but I'm not terribly enthused about Russian because I don't think their shells are terribly attractive.

I'm also concerned about keeping my tortoise outside during the summer, because of how humid it gets here. I've seen a lot about how to keep a tortoise's habitat wet enough - what about keeping it dry?

Any suggestions?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Do you mean wet or high humidity ? Because all 3 your looking at need high humidity .

Sorry Duck I forgot
Welcome to the TFO from AZ .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Duck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Most need a higher humidity when young. Less as they get old
Russians don't have the pretties shells, but they have a lot of personality and they are always on the more, which makes them fun too watch.

duckgalrox

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Do you mean wet or high humidity ? Because all 3 your looking at need high humidity .

Sorry Duck I forgot
Welcome to the TFO from AZ .

On the extreme, we can get to 90+% humidity with temperatures above 90F (19C). Is this too hot for a tortoise? Is there such thing as too hot for a tortoise? I don't want my tort to burn...

I'm planning to either hibernate in the crazy cold winter or set up a nice enclosure in my basement, complete with sun/heat lamps on timers.

On another note: are tortoise leashes a thing? Can I take my tortoise on a walk on the bike path once he's big enough?