New tortoise owner in Wiltshire

Hattie's mum

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Evening! I am the proud owner of Hattie, a mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise. She is about 8 months old and doing well so far, I think! She's not overly active at the moment, but I'm putting that down to a new home etc. Last week she started getting herself up in the mornings to bask and feed, which was a relief! I have her in a tortoise table, only real concern is humidity, to spray or not to spray etc?
Looking forward to learning a whole heap more about tortoises!

Attachments

• IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! Hattie is a beauty.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Love the dark color. As an adult it is good for them to have some humidity. 30% is good. A humid hide should work good.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from another Greek owner (a bit to the East of you in Kent). Mine is a bit older though. We have had him for over 40 years and he weighs 3.2kg now!

Hattie's mum

Uk
Hello and welcome from another Greek owner (a bit to the East of you in Kent). Mine is a bit older though. We have had him for over 40 years and he weighs 3.2kg now!
Do you keep yours indoors or out?

Hattie's mum

Uk
Hello and Welcome. Love the dark color. As an adult it is good for them to have some humidity. 30% is good. A humid hide should work good.
Thank you and hello! I call it a proper Tortoise colour!

Hattie's mum

Uk
He is an outdoor tortoise free range in the garden. He is a nightmare indoors. As they mature, Greeks need lots of space. A tortoise table is not enough after a few years :)
That is my aim, to get her outdoors. Roll on the warmer weather so we can get started! She was out a couple of weekends ago for an hour or so, just hope that weekend wasn't our summer!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. One question: How sure you are is a she?

Hattie's mum

Uk
Hello and Welcome. One question: How sure you are is a she?
Ha! Ha! I'm not! We compared the plastron. Hattie was a lot flatter than the other 3 there. I'm not expecting Hattie to remain a 'she', but the name will probably stay!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Ha! Ha! I'm not! We compared the plastron. Hattie was a lot flatter than the other 3 there. I'm not expecting Hattie to remain a 'she', but the name will probably stay!
That works for me. I thought you had "her" sexed.

Hattie is a beautiful name and she is beautiful too.

T1ME1

East Anglia, England, United Kingdom
Welcome. I have an eight month Greek that I have just got too. He is quite shy at the moment. Still doesn't get himself up in the mornings either - I wake him with a bath before work!

Hattie looks lovely.

Hattie's mum

Uk
Morning!
Welcome. I have an eight month Greek that I have just got too. He is quite shy at the moment. Still doesn't get himself up in the mornings either - I wake him with a bath before work!

Hattie looks lovely.
Morning! I've been watching your thread with interest as everything you described could have been Hattie. I was having to get her up too, but she has now decided she wants to do that herself. I was off work yesterday and spent a lot of time watching Hattie to see what she gets up to. I was quite disappointed to discover by lunch time she'd had enough and put herself back in her hide. I'm hoping this is because she's young and needs the rest. During the morning she was back and forward to her hide, as you would expect, but nothing else for the rest of the day that I noticed.
They are such a worry!

T1ME1

East Anglia, England, United Kingdom
I got up at 08:30 this morning (later than normal) and Lenny was already up and basking, which was nice to see. It is the first time he has woken himself up, rather than me having to do it before work.