Over heating! Please help!

JohnTheFranzwa

Hello every body my tortoise Shelly is what I believe over heating because the room she is being housed in is getting very warm like 90-95 degrees, I have her a bathe and offered her some of her favorite food which she did not eat! Does anybody have any tips what to do? I'm cooling down the room now and I turned off her heat lamp! Thanks! If she doesn't get better in a week or so she will be visiting the vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
90-95 is not really too hot for a sulcata. The basking temp is higher then that. However, if there is no water and no way of her getting out of the 90-95 temps then a enclosure tune up is needed.
Post pics of the enclosure, and what you use for heat and lighting and what the humidity is.
Also, using a thermostat for heating elements will reduce any over heating

JohnTheFranzwa

90-95 is not really too hot for a sulcata. The basking temp is higher then that. However, if there is no water and no way of her getting out of the 90-95 temps then a enclosure tune up is needed.
Post pics of the enclosure, and what you use for heat and lighting and what the humidity is.
Also, using a thermostat for heating elements will reduce any over heating

She's a Russian sorry for the confusion did I post this in the wrong area?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She's a Russian sorry for the confusion did I post this in the wrong area?
No sorry, some how I got sulcata in my head. Not sure how or why LOL
The basking temp though for a Russian is still 95-100. The rest of my post before this pretty much still applies. Russians still need some humidity and a thermostat still applies. Posting pics will help us help you so this doesn't happen again.

JohnTheFranzwa

No sorry, some how I got sulcata in my head. Not sure how or why LOL
The basking temp though for a Russian is still 95-100. The rest of my post before this pretty much still applies. Russians still need some humidity and a thermostat still applies. Posting pics will help us help you so this doesn't happen again.

Ok her tank is 95 degrees and basking is 100 I am cleaning out her cage tomorrow to add more depth so that she can actually cover herself, she has been trying to bury herself in the substrate. the humidity is 50% I have a humidity gauge in there along with a thermostat for whole tank and one for basking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The 95 needs to be lowered. The basking is fine. More substrate would be nice for her to dig down, but the 95 still needs to go lower.
Where are you located? If your nights are warm, and she's an adult, the temp can go to house temp as low as 68-70 and no added night heat being needed.

JohnTheFranzwa

The 95 needs to be lowered. The basking is fine. More substrate would be nice for her to dig down, but the 95 still needs to go lower.
Where are you located? If your nights are warm, and she's an adult, the temp can go to house temp as low as 68-70 and no added night heat being needed.

I live in Minnesota, my reptile room is in the attic so there's no cooling or anything, it will probably get that cold tonight, she is an adult. Thanks for all you're help!