Please help (new growth/calcium problem?)

SochiDias

hello everyone,
I am a new member on the site. I need some help to figure out if I should go to the vet or not. My tortoise' rings have not developed properly I think.
She is active, but I am not sure she is getting enough calcium in her diet.
She has a heat lamp and a UV lamp to help her digest the food. Also, she gets so active that I think she is restless... but when I take her out of her space and let her walk around in the kitchen she goes to sleep in on corner(her favorite spot in the house).
I would like your advice to see if I should make changes or take her to a vet.
I will try to add a pic.

IMG_5070.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. We need more info, diet a pic of the enclosure, temps, substrate, etc. also letting them walk around on the floor is a very bad dangerous idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The new growth is coming in sort of lower than the older scutes. This might just be that he's growing fast. What and how much are you feeding him?

In case you didn't know, calcium needs vitamin d3 in order to work inside the tortoise's body. The calcium/vitamin d3 combination makes for a strong shell and bones. Vegetation-eating tortoises get their vitamin d3 from the sun. Since we sometimes have to have them in the house due to inclement weather, we use a GOOD UVB light to act like the sun. Do you have such a light?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Hope you stick around here. It's a great site.

I agree re not letting her walk around on the floor! The corner is not her "favourite" spot - just the safest place she can hide and hopefully not be seen by the huge, towering, predatory looking creatures lurching around over her. And sh'e cold and scared....!

Don't be chased away by the criticism you will get here. This site is full of really experienced, nice people who very much want to help you.