new Tort owner - intro and questions!

MangoDiva

yes they are mature at this age they can mate.
Good to know. Lastly, I made an appt for Saturday to take them to the vet to make sure I didn't get sick torts. But at $115 each I am thinking of canceling. They don't seem sick but I wouldn't really know I guess. Perry rarely comes out of hiding though.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
Good to know. Lastly, I made an appt for Saturday to take them to the vet to make sure I didn't get sick torts. But at $115 each I am thinking of canceling. They don't seem sick but I wouldn't really know I guess. Perry rarely comes out of hiding though.
i would ask a more experience member about taking them to the vet or not I'm unsure about that. sometimes when the cage temps are to low they stay in hiding, what are the cage temps? also this is a hibernating species, hibernation is not mandatory. so they might be trying to hibernate but it is highly recommend not to hibernate your tort the first year. i have never hibernated my russians and they are in amazing health!

MangoDiva

i would ask a more experience member about taking them to the vet or not I'm unsure about that. sometimes when the cage temps are to low they stay in hiding, what are the cage temps? also this is a hibernating species, hibernation is not mandatory. so they might be trying to hibernate but it is highly recommend not to hibernate your tort the first year. i have never hibernated my russians and they are in amazing health!

ok, thanks a million. I've learned so much in the past 5 days about torts. Amazing. Making big changes this weekend. Ciao for now. Exhausted.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You may not have to worry about taking them to the vet right now. do they feel relatively heavy like a rock, or do they feel very light? If they feel light and they may have parasites and I would take them to the vet now. but if they feel heavy then I would wait. Make sure you have at least two hides and lots of site barriers so they can avoid each other. until you get to enclosures made one may be dominating the other. two indoor enclosures and then one large outdoor enclosure should work okay.

MangoDiva

So I went to the only reptile store in NYC. The tortoise expert told me its ok to keep the substrate that I have since they are desert tortoises. I was going to switch to the coco
sorry if you don't like being called dude:(
Oh, its seriously not a big deal - I'm not THAT sensitive. I appreciate all the advice I've gotten from you and and everyone else!!

MangoDiva

You may not have to worry about taking them to the vet right now. do they feel relatively heavy like a rock, or do they feel very light? If they feel light and they may have parasites and I would take them to the vet now. but if they feel heavy then I would wait. Make sure you have at least two hides and lots of site barriers so they can avoid each other. until you get to enclosures made one may be dominating the other. two indoor enclosures and then one large outdoor enclosure should work okay.
They aren't that big. They don't feel very heavy but also not really light. I think they are ok. I think you are right about one dominating the other. The smaller one (Perry) seems to eat all the food. Even when I removed Perry and put Jaden (formerly Daisy) in front of the food, he doesn't eat it. Thinking I may have to take him to the vet to see why. I thought Perry was dominating until this morning when Jaden didn't even want to eat when Perry wasn't there. Hmmmm...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So I went to the only reptile store in NYC. The tortoise expert told me its ok to keep the substrate that I have since they are desert tortoises. I was going to switch to the coco

Oh, its seriously not a big deal - I'm not THAT sensitive. I appreciate all the advice I've gotten from you and and everyone else!!
Sand will cause impaction. Go with the Coco. unfortunately pet stores do not always give the best advice.