new Tort owner - intro and questions!

MangoDiva

Hello folks,

Three days ago I purchased two tortoises from PetSmart (pet store chain in the US) for my 6 year old son. I'm not sure if they are Russion or Greet tortoises. Both names were on the display. We have already fallen in love with these guys already. My son has named them Perry William and Daisy Mary. Too cute! However, I am concerned about several things.
1. I realized quickly I know nothing about tortoises!!
2. I probably should have purchased them from a store dealing strictly in reptiles not a chain store!!
3. I need to make their indoor enclosure more suitable.
4. I am praying the pet store didn't sell us sick tortoises!

The little bit I've researched after purchase I realized I could have saved a ton of money and bought a huge bin instead of a glass enclosure from pet store. I purchased a 40 gallon glass terrarium "bearded dragon" starter kit. I know its not a bearded dragon but the salesperson said it had everything I needed (locking top screen, 2 dome lamps with ceramic heat insulators, 100watt basking spot bulb, 1 desert UVB florescent coil bulb 20watts, 1 digital temperature gauge, 2 food/water dishes).

I immediately purchased exotic pet insurance because vet care is very expensive. I figure just in case I need it. However, I wanted to take them to the vet this wkd to make sure they are healthy. Vet wants $115 for each one! That is crazy. Not covered by insurance. :( I'm wondering if I should forgo the wellness check and just cross my fingers. Perry (slightly smaller) stays underneath the wooden refuge all day. Daisy is a bit more curious.

Not sure how much food to put out and when. Anyway, I've attached a photo. I will go out this weekend and get plants etc to make it more suitable for them.

I will go through the forum for tips and advice and if anyone has some quick tips for me now that would be great.

Thanks for your help! Perry and Daisy.jpg Tort Indoor Enclosure.jpg

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum:)! the russian torts need to be separated, tortoises are very territorial animals. if they are kept together they might loose an eye or part of there tail:(. second the minimum cage for an adult ruusian is 4ft by8ft. read this entire care sheet. there are lots of things wrong with this new enclosure.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You have two Russian tortoises. We have a very nice care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian Tortoise section. Be sure to read it.

Take that spiral-shaped bulb back to the store and get your money back. Those bulbs cause eye problems in tortoises exposed to them.

Get rid of the substrate they sold you and buy something you can moisten - orchid bark, coco coir even dirt from the back yard.

But read the care sheet. It will tell you all you need to know.

MangoDiva

welcome to the forum:)! the russian torts need to be separated, tortoises are very territorial animals. if they are kept together they might loose an eye or part of there tail:(. second the minimum cage for an adult ruusian is 4ft by8ft. read this entire care sheet. there are lots of things wrong with this new enclosure.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Wow! Thanks!! We were going to get only one but the salesperson told us to get both so they won't be lonely and that they are used to each other so they will do well together. So much for that advice!! Good grief. That gives me concern because I have room for one big terrarium not two. Good to know! Will read care sheet.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Wow! Thanks!! We were going to get only one but the salesperson told us to get both so they won't be lonely and that they are used to each other so they will do well together. So much for that advice!! Good grief. That gives me concern because I have room for one big terrarium not two. Good to know! Will read care sheet.
sadly pet stores know nothing about the torts they are selling. you could always keep both except in separate enclosures.

MangoDiva

Great advice thanks. I felt like the substrate wasn't correct for them. They don't seem very happy with it, they can't move around so freely it seems. Will look into changing that asap.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You have two Russian tortoises. We have a very nice care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian Tortoise section. Be sure to read it.

Take that spiral-shaped bulb back to the store and get your money back. Those bulbs cause eye problems in tortoises exposed to them.

Get rid of the substrate they sold you and buy something you can moisten - orchid bark, coco coir even dirt from the back yard.

But read the care sheet. It will tell you all you need to know.

MangoDiva

sadly pet stores know nothing about the torts they are selling. you could always keep both except in separate enclosures.
My six year old is smarter than I thought. This morning I told him we may have to take one back to the store because they can't stay together and explained why. He looked at me with a face like Duh Mom and said, "so...we need to just get a second enclosure and separate them." My husband just laughed at me. Guess we are keeping both. He swears they are brother and sister and although separated need to live in the same house. Ahhhh....ok.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
My six year old is smarter than I thought. This morning I told him we may have to take one back to the store because they can't stay together and explained why. He looked at me with a face like Duh Mom and said, "so...we need to just get a second enclosure and separate them." My husband just laughed at me. Guess we are keeping both. He swears they are brother and sister and although separated need to live in the same house. Ahhhh....ok.
if you post a pic of the tails of the torts from the underside of them, i can tell you the genders.:)