new Tort owner - intro and questions!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Mango Diva
If your talking about bulling brother and sister don't matter , it starts with looks then goes to the water dish and then the food dish and then meaner . Torts are loaners they don't like being in pairs but get a nother tort they do well in trios

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
Mango Diva
If your talking about bulling brother and sister don't matter , it starts with looks then goes to the water dish and then the food dish and then meaner . Torts are loaners they don't like being in pairs but get a nother tort they do well in trios
that is true, but we still don't know the genders of the torts. they could be both males and if you got a female the male could harass her to death.

MangoDiva

Mango Diva

I don't think I'm ready for a third just yet! I need to get the hang of two for now. I will have to separate them. The salesperson also couldn't tell me how old they were but they are small so assuming babies especially since they are pretty cool with each other now. As I was reading they don't really fight as much as babies but its when they get older and then BAM! My second enclosure will be more like a huge storage bin. I've already spent a fortune - more than my little Sunday trip to the petstore intention. Each tort was $100 each. Is that a normal price?

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
The size sometimes doesn't match their age sadly because their conditions will not allow them to grow properly at the pet stores.
Unless you know for sure that they just got them, I guess.

I got miss informed too but mine is Sulcata ( which was a baby when I got it and kept record of improvement. My point on this is that healthy life does matter in size.

Hopefully, things work wonderful for you guys!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Mango Diva
I think they do better in trios if it's one male and two females. Two males and a female would be disastrous in my opinion.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think your son has the right idea, just build to enclosures. If the outdoor enclosure is big enough in other words very large they can stay in one outdoor enclosure if it has lots of site barriers and hides. But like you said you have time to figure that out.

MangoDiva

OMG awesome!! Ok, I'm not home but will do it by tomorrow. Thanks so much!!
Attached are the photos of Daisy and Perry. Looks like I have two mature males according to Grandpa Turtles chart! Wow...Daisy is a dude!

Attachments

• Daisy.jpg
    Daisy.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Perry.jpg
    Perry.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 15