(New Member) Help & Advice please :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW201193

Hi,
I am a new member, I own a Horsefield tortoise who is approximately 6 years old and I believe he is a male and is called sheldon.
He has a 4 foot tortoise table rather than a viv.
I moved to Uni 18 months ago and left my tortoise in the care of my family, although I do visit regularly.
The last couple of weeks my mum has been very worried about the sheldon, His shell has become very soft and he almost appears 'flat'. she believes this was caused by a bulb been out for a couple of days. She has been advised to include more calcium in his diet in order to help him.
so we have bought a tub of the calcium powder (exoterra i think)
I have noticed that he doesn't seem to be improving, although my mum still says he is eating.
He is very inactive and doesn't seem to move about at all, however this could be due to the time of year and the fact we have not yet hibernated him. ( we are worried about doing this, so advice on this would also be appreciated)

Aswell as the above his beak has also snapped either side although seems to be getting better.

This sounds like we are very bad owners however we are not we look after him as best we can although didnt realise how difficult it could be!
I just really hope he can get better
Thank you for taking your time to read
I hope you can help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi KW, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm afraid that there's not much hope for Sheldon if, as you say, his shell seems to have collapsed and he's now more or less flat.

When tortoises are kept in the house they must have foods high in calcium plus a calcium supplement two or three times a week. And to go along with the calcium, they absolutely have got to have the d3, either from a good UVB light, or from the sun. Without the UVB, the calcium doesn't do its job inside the tortoise and his shell and bones become soft and he eventually dies.

At this point all you can do is provide the calcium-rich foods and the UVB and hope for the best.

KW201193

Hi,
Thank you :) We try to put him outside as much as possible, although the rubbish weather does not always allow this haha.
We have also given him some cuttle bone which he has access to all the time.
His shell does appear flatter than it used to be but I wouldnt say it was completely flat.
I hope the soft shell does not cause tortoises any pain?
Lets hope for the best.
Thank you for your help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just as in human metabolic bone disease, MBD in tortoises is quite painful.

KW201193

Unfortunelty Sheldon died yesterday.
I have just been in to see him and his shell is very flat now.
Glad he isn't in pain now
Feel so guilty
Thanks for your help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

KW201193

Thank you, I don't want to gross you out but when i went to pick him up out of the tortoise table his shell actually caved in and cracked, so it must have been pretty bad. Bless him!
Feel terrible but I have been told once torts get ill, its very hard to bring them out of an illness.

katrvt

5 Year Member
KW, so sorry for your loss... I'm wondering about your uvb, mostly in case you decide to get another tort... Those bulbs typically must be replaced every six months, or you have to either check or have the uvb output checked regularly after that point. Most uvb bulbs will cease to produce uvb rays Lincoln before the bulb itself will burn out... Without the uvb rays, torts cannot metabolize calcium correctly.

KW201193

Thankyou
We have decided not to get another tortoise, it isn't fair on my mum to have the responsibility when I am at uni.
We are selling our tortoise table etc.
I have a feeling we might have been using the wrong heating/lighting
But we just went with what we were advised
Thanks anyway

Carys999

I know this is an old post but I'd just like to say I'm in the exact same position at the moment (been at uni, MBD has set in whilst I've been away) my tortoise is two years old and is also called Sheldon, he has been rushed to the vet and does not look hopeful, I'm absolutely devastated and am desperately searching for advice, however I'd just like to say I'm really sorry your Sheldon didn't make it, it's an easy mistake to make and a slippery slope once they are ill, I'm praying my boy doesn't go the same way:(

Status
Not open for further replies.